Turbo 182 Baffles

I posted something earlier about my 1982 Cessna T182 overheating in a climb. I think part of the issue was operator error, leaning it out while still climbing. I was talking with my mechanic about how there would be 80-100 degrees difference between the hottest and coolest cylinders. I have been told that you don't want such a large differential. Turns out the two hottest cylinders are #1 and #3. I thought they would be in the back, but there are the front and middle on the passenger side. #1 is at the front, right by the air opening. I would have expected it to be cooled by the air, but the baffle partly closes the opening and the air ends up going over the first two cylinders. My mechanic says he has heard of people removing that baffle to get more air to the #1 and #3, but he was not sure what would happen to the #5 cylinder. Has anyone here ever made that modification, or know someone who has?

Thanks - Chris

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Hi Chris, have you and your mechanic ensured that all of the existing baffling is working correctly and that no air pressure is leaking out before it reaches those cylinders? Are there any obstructions (eg: birds nest material) in the cooling fins on those cylinders?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• BuPilotBuPilot Malibu Pilot
    Thanks, Scott. Yes. Just did an oil change and inspected all the baffles and fins, no obstructions. I thought it was a design flaw, but the plane has been around since 1981, so I suspect a modification would have been issued. I am tempted to drill a couple holes in the baffling in front of #1, but reluctant to mess with it. I was hoping to find somebody who had a similar experience and how they addressed it.
    Hi Chris, Let me forward you question to our A&P, Erich Rempert. Please stand by.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Hi Chris, here's a response from our A&P:
    [FONT=&quot]NO. Do not drill any holes or remove any baffles. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Is this a fuel injected or carburated engine? Is it turbocharged? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The cooling system works on pressure differential only, if you start changing baffles and drilling holes you will worsen the problem because you will ruin the differential. Check all your flexible baffle seals, and close up any existing holes in the baffles that have been installed over the years for wires etc that are no longer in use. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To go further than that, I need to know the answers to the above questions, and what the CHT temps actually are for each cylinder (roughly, doesn't need to be exact).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]~Erich Rempert, A&P Consultant[/FONT]

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Thanks Erich. I have modified nothing yet. We have not checked flexible baffle seals. He basically gave it a visual while changing the oil, but did not do a deep dive.

Mine is a 1981 Turbo 182. Lycoming O-540-L3C5D. Carburated. Attached is a shot of the engine monitor during cruise. On the pilot side, starting in the front the cylinders are 2,4,6. On the passenger side they are 1,3,5.
    Hi Chris, I just sent your last message and picture to Erich. Please stand by. On a related note, I just took my turbo-charged twin from Milwaukee to Denver last week. I had the feeling that my right engine was warmer than it should have been. I'm heading out to the airport today to check on my baffling... Stay tuned.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

We should start a fly-in called Baffle-Fest!
    Hi, I just bought a tube of RTV and am going to fix in some air leaks in the upper deck of my right engine. I'll be doing that tomorrow. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Here's a message from our A&P:
    Unfortunately I can't make out any details in the picture the resolution is not great enough to zoom in and see the Cht readings. A better picture would tell a thousand words. Try sending a larger version please!

-Erich

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Attachment not found.

Hope this works better.
    Thank you so much!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Here's the latest response from our association A&P, Erich Rempert:

[FONT=&quot]Below is a link to the TCDS which is the defining document in regard to engine limitations. Pay attention to fuel pressures as well.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/93856fc09b9f3b5686257b63006c422f/$FILE/E-295_Rev_19.pdf[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]~Erich Rempert, A&P Consultant[/FONT]

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Thanks for your help
    I looked the document over, but it does not seem to address my issue. I could find nothing about cylinder head temps and the differential between the hottest and the coolest. Am I missing something?
    Good question: let me check...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

[FONT=&quot]Please see Note 1 on page 4. [/FONT]

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!