GTX335 vs. Appareo ESG

New member here. Bought my first airplane this spring! 1976 Cessna 172M. Has steam gauges and 2 new TKM Nav/Coms . VFR pilot currently using I-Pad with Garmin Pilot. Have reserved my rebate and ready to pull the trigger on a new ADSB out solution. Have decided on ADS-B out only. I would really appreciate any feedback/advice on which unit to go with. Once installed, will I notice any difference between the two? Does the "Bluetooth" vs. Wi-Fi make a difference in the cockpit? Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Mike M.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Hi Mike, congrats on the new airplane! I've flown two 1977 172's this summer. Excellent year (1976-1977) and great Cessna model! Post a picture of your new bird when you have a moment as we all love to see our members' airplanes. Now, regarding your avionics: The TKM radio's are awesome. I have an MX-170 and these are great radios, plug and play compatible with what you have in the panel, and relatively inexpensive. Good choice! Now for ADS-B. I'm an early adopter and have had ADS-B Out and In for several years. I really don't know what I would do without it. My wife loves being able to see other airplanes, gives her great peace of mind. Both the GTX-335 and Appareo units are excellent, as are many other devices from Avidyne, Bendix-King, etc. If you only do "Out" at this time you'll wind up paying much more than if you do them separately. Have you considered the Garmin 345? It's Out and In and will talk to your ipad and give you your position on moving maps as well as weather and traffic. It's two grand more up front but you won't have to revisit this later, and the weather, traffic and moving map are awesome. Regardless, as I understand money (I've owned 7 planes), if you can only do Out at the moment, no sweat. Check other vendors as ADS-B out equipment goes for as low as $1700. including WAAS GPS. Let me know if you need more help.
    Scott Sherer
    Cessna Owners Organization

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks for the quick reply Scott! It's not a money issue. I am thinking more of the flexibility to have a portable ADS-B in unit that I can take to use in different aircraft. I am also a ground instructor at a small flight school. We have 2 Cessna 172D models that I use quite often. I'm more concerned with reliability and "service after the sale". Both units I'm looking at are the same price. I can't seem to find articles that directly compares the features/benefits of the two models. I believe the GTX is Bluetooth, while the Appareo is WiFi. Is one more user friendly than the other? Appareo offers an ADSB "in" option that is a much lower price point than Garmin. As a novice I just want to make an informed decision. Again really appreciate your input. I joined your organization after attending an excellent seminar with Bob Hart at Osh Kosh. I think I may have met you at the booth when I signed up.
    Hi Mike, I understand the portable issue for "In". Regarding Bluetooth vs WiFi. Bluetooth requires "pairing", a necessary but painful experience, in my view. WiFi is easier to configure. Also, not that this matters, but Bluetooth has a 10 foot range, WiFi has a 100 foot range.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain
    I installed the Appareo ESG in our plane last year with the in/out and it has been a very good trouble free system so far. The "In" part of the Stratus ESG is designed to be hard mounted in the plane and wired directly to the transponder. However, you could have the avionics shop mount the "in" receiver in a location that allows you to easily unplug it from your aircraft and take it with you to other planes that you fly. By doing this you will always have ADS-B In available to you. I cannot comment on the Garmin systems, but I went with Appareo based on how well their Stratus systems have worked for me in the past. I also like have the back-up AHRS for the occasional IFR flight. Let me know if you have any questions about the Stratus ESG.

Good luck.
    Hey Jeff, thanks so much for chiming in! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank You Jeff! I'm leaning in that direction. How would you connect / power the "in box", if you were to use it as a portable in another aircraft, as you suggested?
  • JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain
    Well, I just realized that I lied to you. If you get the ESGi kit that comes with the black stratus 2i it does NOT have an internal battery in the "in" receiver. However, you could purchase a Stratus 2s receiver and an interface kit that would hook up into the Stratus ESG transponder. The Stratus 2s can be used as a stand alone receiver. Sorry for the misinformation.