Garmin G1000 ChartView and Jeppesen Charts

Getting the runaround... I have a 2009 Cessna T-182T with a G1000. I have been trying to find out how to "unlock" the G1000 ChartView feature that will allow Jepp charts to display on the MFD (I have a Jepp subscription). I've called both Cessna and Jeppesen and both say to call the other... I know I need to purchase a software "key" from Cessna to "unlock" the ChartView feature (probably like I did to unlock the Synthetic Vision feature). However, I am unable to find anyplace or anyone to sell me a key. Reading between the lines I get the feeling I need to contact a Garmin dealer to assist. Again, another brick wall... I have called numerous "Garmin Dealers" in the Southern California area and nobody seems to know what I'm asking for let alone talking about. So, that's my tale. Bottom line: what do I need to do to view Jeppesen charts on my G1000 MFD?

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Hi, have you contacted Garmin directly?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes, they were the first place I called months ago. Amazingly, neither their tech or sales departments could give me a solid answer due to the fact the installation in my plane is an OEM product. All conversations with Garmin ended with a recommendation to call both Cessna and Jepp.
    Hi and thanks for the answer. Let me make a few calls this week and see if I can get this resolved for you. Please stand by.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Hi John, I have contacted both Garmin, Jeppesen and Cessna this morning. Let's see what happens.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Hi, here's the first response:

Good afternoon Scott,

The Chartview key can be purchased directly through Cessna/Textron. I do not have the price for that as it is set by Textron but usually is is a few thousand dollars for the unlock. This can be accomplished by any service center. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
    Garmin Aviation Support

Let me know if you need the contact information for a Cessna service center. I have that information.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Hi John, here's the second response to come back from Jeppesen:

Hello,

Is his unit unlocked to display Jeppesen charts?

Best Regards,
    Nicole Figueroa
    Customer Consultant
    General Aviation Sales and Service
    Support@JeppDirect <Support@JeppDirect.com>

Best regards,
    Scott Sherer

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Hi John, I informed Nicole at Jepp that the "unlock" was what we were trying to buy, and she responded:

Hi Scott,

He would need to contact Garmin directly to have it unlocked.

Best Regards,
    Nicole Figueroa
    Customer Consultant
    General Aviation Sales and Service

I then sent her an email (from Garmin above) informing here that the train to resolving this issue is derailed. I haven't gotten a response yet, nor have I gotten one from Cessna. I'll follow up on that, too.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Just letting you know that I contacted Cessna a second time this morning. First time was couple of days ago was to a Cessna Service Center. No response yet. The second communique was directly to Cessna service. Stand by.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Hi John, here's the latest from Cessna:

Scott,

I received a message today that you were inquiring about the process and cost of Chartview for a G1000. Chartview can be unlocked through your local Garmin dealer. I believe it requires a software level of 7.0 or higher, and has a cost of $2000.00. Your local Garmin Dealer can complete this process in about an hour.

Thank you,

[FONT=&quot]Bobby Jensen[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Regional Sales Manager (Midwest U.S.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]rjensen01@txtav.com[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](316) 249-0708[/FONT]

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Hi John, so now I have emailed all three with one email that contains a quote from each of them. Clearly, they are all clueless. However, I have faith in humanity (for some unexplainable reason) and I'm sure they'll all figure it out asap. Let's give them a day to communicate with each other and sort this out. Have a good weekend and as soon as I hear from them I'll contact you again.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Hi John, here's the latest from Cessna.. Please contact Robert Jensen at Cessna directly (see info below) and he will get you set up. Good luck! Scott Sherer

[FONT=&quot]Scott,

I apologize for the many answers you have received. I personally called Garmin this morning and was informed this is an unlock process that the local Garmin Dealer needs to perform. Can you please verify the aircraft location, and I will be more than happy to verify with the nearest Garmin dealer.

Best regards,

Robert Jensen
    Cessna Regional Sales Manager
    rjensen01@txtax.com
    Cessna Aircraft
    (316) 249-0708
    [/FONT]

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Scott,

I apologize for the many answers you have received. I personally called Garmin this morning and was informed this is an unlock process that the local Garmin Dealer needs to perform. Can you please verify the aircraft location, and I will be more than happy to verify with the nearest Garmin dealer.

Best regards,

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bobby Jensen[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cessna Regional Sales Manager (Midwest U.S.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]rjensen01@txtav.com[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](316) 249-0708[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!