ADS-B: What are you doing?

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
Hi everyone,
The clock is running and many folks at my local aerodrome are thinking about ADS-B. Many are using portable IN solutions and hesitating on the OUT solution due to cost. I bit the bullet and installed a new Avidyne 540 WAAS GPS FMS and connected that to a new Avidyne AXP-340 Mode S/es transponder and I now have ADS-B OUT. On the IN side of the equation I've installed a Navworx ADS-600B ADS-B In receiver/UAT and have connected that to my older Garmin GMX-200 MFD. Everything works well and now I wonder how I ever got along without it, which is, I guess, the whole point. What are you doing?

Scott Sherer

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• ToddTodd Navigator
    I have an 05 182T with G1000. I have been researching for the most cost effective solution without much luck. Not sure what my options are.
  • Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Have you looked at the Garmin 345 one box ads-b solution? Both in and out in a transponder sized box. It's getting great reviews. Also, the L3 for the non-Garmin solution. Other vendors make great equipment, do you need help? We have an avionics expert and avionics tech on staff to help you. No charge and expert advice. Let me know and I'll get you in touch with them.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• SSFCSSFC Navigator
    We have the Nav II package which is now 16 years old. Since almost all my flying is IMC, we are discussing replacing almost everything in the stack, especially the comms and navs with perhaps the Avidyne 440/540 combo. Personally I desire to not rely on my non-certified supplemental instrumentation.

Alan Hoffberg
    Maintenance Officer/VP et cetera
    South Seminole Flying Club
    Sanford, Florida (KSFB)
    Good idea, although you might consider keeping an older, but good condition navcom as a backup radio. I have the Avidyne 540 GPS, mode s/es transponder and audio panel. I kept my Garmin GMX-200 MFD, which I love, and works perfectly with the Avidyne 540 and Navworx ADS-600 UAT. And all of that works with my Century NSD-360 HSI and Century 2000 A/P. Interoperability is excellent these days. I recommend the Avidyne highly.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• SSFCSSFC Navigator
    The comms/navs (dual 155s) are becoming flakey, with static and display; also parts are not readily available.
    The 440 has a smaller screen and does almost everything the 540 does, hence the 540/440 combo along with the remainder of the Avidyne bundle.

Alan Hoffberg
    Maintenance Officer/VP et cetera
    South Seminole Flying Club
    Sanford, Florida (KSFB)
    Keep us in the loop on your final choice. And I hope other members will chime in, too. Have a great weekend.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Todd wrote: »
    I have an 05 182T with G1000. I have been researching for the most cost effective solution without much luck. Not sure what my options are.
    I believe your only G1000 compatible solution is the replace the existing transponder unit with the Garmin GTX-345R. More info on thevGarmin site .
  • JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain
    We are going with the Stratus ESG transponder in our plane. We chose this because I believe is offers the most bang for you buck for a plane that currently has no GPS and an older transponder. I should be done with the install in the next month or so.
    Great choice. When you get it done fill us in on how the install went, were you happy with the price, are you happy with the functionality, etc. We're all interested.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Hi Walter, thanks so much for posting your ADS-B info. I'm very pleased that it's working out well for you! Keep the blue side up!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Todd wrote: »
    I believe your only G1000 compatible solution is to replace the existing transponder unit with the Garmin GTX-345R. More info on thevGarmin site .
    Hi, I checked the Garmin website to see what they recommended for the G-1000. All you need to do, according to their website, is install a Garmin 345 and swap out your old transponder. Check out the 345! Good luck.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi, I own a cessna 182 s model 2000 year with a King factory panel. GPS certificated. I want to do the ads-b and also have a waas certificated radio for waas approches. What is the cheapest way out. Wiley
  • Hi Wiley, My name is Bob Hart and I am the Avionics Staff writer for Cessna Owners Magazine. No question, ADS-B can be a bit complicated and it's difficult to address your question in a post. I've done extensive articles on ADS-B in the magazine starting in the February and March 2014. I address the whole concept of ADS-B and discuss the different ways to address it in those articles. March issue was mostly the equipment that was available at that time. I then did an "Update" article in the September 2015 issue where I introduced the new products that have come on line since late 2014. Last months issue (November 2016) including updates on a number of articles I have done in the last year and includes updated information on ADS-B. If you want to make an educated decision, take the time and access these articles through the "Archives: section. I understand that many of the members are flying legacy airplanes on a budget and my articles are written to help you do it right and spend the least amount of money to do it! Thanks
    Bob Hart www.AvionixHelp.com
    Please drop me an email at scotts@jonespublishing.com with your phone number and I'll call you or I'll email you my phone number. I'd be delighted to assist.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

It's December 1, 2016, and the ADS-B clock is slowly ticking towards December 31, 2019. Have you moved forward on ADS-B Out yet? If so, tell us what you're doing. If not, what's holding you back? My local avionics shop is saying that they have four airplanes in at a time for ADS-B and they don't think there will be enough shop time available to do all of their customers by the end of the decade. What are you experiencing?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I recently had the King KMD-550, KX-155A #1 and KLN-94 GPS removed. A Garmin GTN 750 GPS/NAV/COM with a GTX345R ADS_B in/out transponder was installed. I kept the KX-155A #2 as the second radio. Also, added a Garmin FlightStream 510. Garmin included over a year subscription to Garmin Pilot. It also works with ForeFlight. I applied for the FAA $500 rebate and did the flight test. Everything passed and I receive approval for the rebate. Wondering how long the FAA take to send the check! The amount of information provided by the equipment is fantastic. The displays are easy to read. I am glad I did it.
    Hopefully my Stratus ESG will be up and running by the end of January! I'm very excited to finally be ADS-B compliant soon! I'll keep everyone updated on how well I like it. Congratulations to everyone who has their plane already updated.
    Hi Jeff, I was an early adopter and it's been about two years since I installed ads-b in and out. I saved about $600 per year on weather subscriptions (yea!) and the traffic is life-saving. I'm very happy with the technology and I'm sure you will be, too. Happy flying and keep the blue side up!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Mr. Lindy, back in the day your equipment was awesome (kln94, et al). Now the Garmin 750 makes that old stuff look archaic. Congrats on everything (except the invoice, lol). Let us know how it works and when you get the FAA check. It's the government so I would suspect it's going to take a while. Happy New Year! Keep the blue side up!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Our plane is currently at the avionics shop getting the Stratus ESG finished up. With any luck I will be flying an ADS-B compliant (in/out) plane on Saturday! I will let everyone know how I like the ESG once I fly it. The avionics shop we are using is Radio Ranch at Whiteside County Airport (KSQI) in nothern Illinois.
    Congrats Jeff! We're all anxious to hear the outcome. Let us know!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Nice job and thanks for uploading the pic. I'm sure you're glad to be done! Enjoy your new avionics :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

One other quick note, it only took about 2 weeks to receive our rebate check from the FAA.
    That's excellent news! Thanks so much for the update! Fly safe, have fun.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• 'Gustus'Gustus Flight Attendant
    I own a 2010 C-162 Skycatcher with the original G-300 from Garmin. What I am doing is awaiting word from Cessna and/or Garmin if anything will be Cessna approved for an ADS-B system.
    Also searching for a software update for the G-300 for it hasn't been updated since installed. Any word on availability of this and if so when and where?
    Added note: I'm sure you are aware, but as the C-162 was originally certificated as Light Sport, no Modifications or additions can be made without Cessna's approval. Since they have "orphaned" the Skycatcher, i fear there may be lack of support. Any info or feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks, JAT ('Gustus)
    Hi Gustus and thanks for writing. We've been watching the situation and haven't heard anything more than you have. There's probably not much you can do other than wait for Cessna and Garmin. As for Cessna abandoning supporting the 162: In my heart I can't see Cessna doing this. They're an A+ company on customer support. Keep following up with them until you get an answer. If you get really frustrated, send letters to both CEO's just to get their attention. Good luck.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• 'Gustus'Gustus Flight Attendant
    Sorry Scott, but when Cessna stripped a few part off the remaining 77 unsold Skycatchers and threw the remains thereof in the dumpster, made me feel kinda abandoned. And since they don't seem to rspond to enquiries, it makes me feel even more so. Rock & Hard spot situation...can't make any changes to an LSA w/out Mfg. approval, can't get an update on the installed G-300 system (not updated since built to the best of my knowledge) and cannot replace it with anything else. Only legal options left to me are an I-pad or something similar with updated charts and stay the heck away from any Class B airspace.
    Didn't really buy the aircraft to have these limitations forced upon me. Mind you, am not really fond of flying into Busy airspace, but sure would like to have the option if needed. Guess us little guys not flying Citations are not a priority for either Cessna or Garmin. Dang it, everybody gotta start somewhere.
    Would love to be able to put an Experimental G3x system with a new G-345 Transponder having WAAS and ADS-B in & out, but am unable to because of the regs. Really don't wanna sell "Sweet Lily" and go back to a 150 or 152, because frankly, except for their increased Gross Weights they are not as good an airplane as the C-162.
    Hope I am not the only C-162 owner grappling with this problem, but that may indeed be a possibility.
    Oh, and while we are pursuing the problem, Do you have contact information for the CEOs of Cessna and Garmin? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, JAT ('Gustus)
    Hi Gustus and thanks for the long letter. I have had similar problems on a different front and I understand where you are and how you feel. Given that however, you will find a livable solution. So here's plan B: For starters, contact Cessna at: McKenzie Cordell, (316) 517-8206 or mccordell@txtav.com. He's in charge of piston airplanes. And the contact Garmin at Clifton A. Pemble, President and COO 1200 E. 151 st. Olathe, KS 66062. Send any letters certified and let me know how you do...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• DDLINDYDDLINDY Retired
    I got the check in just a few weeks. Also got a rebate check for $1200 from Garmin.