Thoughts on aging aircraft (mine) maintenance

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
[FONT=&quot]I've been dealing with maintenance issues on my 1977 twin recently that have been annoying at best and totally frustrating at worst. My airframe has about 4,000 hours on it and it's in pretty good shape. I've been restoring it for the last 14 years but the problems that I've had aren't related to restoration or normal maintenance. In the last two years I've replaced all of the electrical switches on the instrument panel because a few have failed. I found them cheaply by hunting on the web and installing them myself. I have also been replacing buried microswitches that are installed all over the airplane. Squat switches on landing year, for example, as well as a flap handle detent microswitch and two microswitches attached to the throttles. Additionally, I've been replacing aging wiring in the engine compartments and TIT sensors, too. These minor failures have resulted in many annoying outages and flight cancelling situations. Short of gutting the airplane and rebuilding it from the ground up, there doesn't seem to be any solution except to deal with it. Are you having similar experiences on your aircraft?[/FONT]

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Scott, I had a similar experience on my 1965 172F. After purchasing it, I was having radio interference issues on my old Narco 12D's, especially when deploying the electric flaps [first model year for those!]. My solution, although not the most inexpensive, was to have the instrument panel gutted by an avionics shop and have new Garmin radio and nav instruments installed. Again, not the cheapest solution, but it definitely cleaned up a lot of noise problems. See the attached picture!

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Looks excellent! Thanks for sharing the pic, it will make alot of our members envious. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!