EI CGR-30P Data Recording Issues

A couple of years ago we purchased a model CGR-30P (Primary) digital engine monitor from Electronics International (EI) for our legacy 1978 Cardinal Classic. We’ve been well pleased with the cockpit display but the data collection system has performed sporadically, for example: flights not recorded; missing header legends on the Excel spreadsheet; startups and/or shutdowns not recorded; and most aggravating random corruption of the data string thereby making it impossible to upload the data to SavvyAnalysis. This problem has us baffled at this point and are asking for collective wisdom available from this forum.

We are open to the possibility that it could be an aircraft system electrical fault but so far all input from EI, our A&P, CFO and others has led to a big goose egg. While inflight we do note significant fluctuations in the alternator amp output - as displayed on the EI and on the legacy ammeter seeing +/- 3.0 amps about a median point. Is this fluctuation in amperage output normal when cruising in a steady state condition and could it be causing some of the data collection problems observed?

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Hi and thanks for writing. I'm hoping that other members and perhaps Bob Hart (our avionics guru) will weigh in on this. In the meantime, I'm going to send this to our A&P, Erich Rempert and see what his thoughts are. Please stand by.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Here's a response from our association A&P, Erich Rempert:

[FONT=&quot]Is this instrument on the avionics bus or the main bus? I'm not sure a 3A swing would cause problems like you suggest, however massive high voltage spikes that could be caused by items like strobe lights, or relays without diodes properly installed could cause an issue I'd think.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]IE; if its on the main bus and the start relay has no diode, when the field collapses (when the start button is released) there will be an extremely low amperage but very high voltage spike that sensitive equipment will sense. That could be one culprit.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Likewise, high amperage draws for fractions of a second to charge the capacitors in the strobe power pack may be virtually unnoticeable to most equipment, but might cause issues on something that is basically a computer recording data. (those power draws would be seen by the unit even if it were on the avionics bus in flight)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I'd ask EI what they think about those possibilities, and if they are in agreement that those items could cause problems I'd check for proper diode installation on all relays, and possibly put a power filter on the CGR-30P.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hope that spurs some thought in the right direction~[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]~Erich Rempert, A&P Consultant[/FONT]

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I just now noted your reply from 12-20-17. Thank you. Is there a feature on the Forum that will automatically notify me when a reply is posted to my question or am I required to check in periodically so I can follow a thread?
    Hi and thanks for the question about "notifications" on the forum. While you are reading this response, scroll up to the top of the page and on the upper right hand corner of the screen is your name in gray. Click the down arrow and you'll get several items, including "user settings". Click on that. On the page that comes up is "Notifications". What you need should be there. Let me know if you need any further assistance. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!