Aspen and Backup AI

Hello all…

I’m having trouble finding the right AI backup solution for a panel retrofit… Cessna 182.

I’m putting in an Aspen PFD and need to keep the Attitude, Airspeed, and Altitude indicators. The existing AI is the only instrument on wet vac pump.

Have any of you folks encountered this? It seems that the G5 would be the most bang for the buck but it would require me to keep the vacuum AI because it seems to be only STC’d for primary instrument, not backup.

I suppose it could replace the turn coordinator, keeping the vac AI

Comments or suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Hi and thanks for writing. Most of the aircraft owners that I've talked to have removed the turn coordinator and moved the backup AI into that position. There are electronic solutions like the G5 and a second Aspen but those solutions cost much more, too. Let's see if anyone else responds to your question. Good luck!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you Scott
  • Been trying to upload a photo of my panel but despite the file being tiny it keeps saying it's too big.

I fly a T182T with an Aspen (and all of this was done before I got the aircraft so can't take the credit/blame). With Aspen in the middle I have airspeed top left, turn coordinator bottom left, AI top right and altimeter bottom right and I think it works really well. Granted, all I have known in this aircraft but I am happy. You will LOVE the Aspen...
    Hi ejakimier: Email me your photo and I'll figure out what's wrong with it. scotts@jonespublishing.com

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

jtipton63

Hi and thanks for writing. Here's the device you want! [FONT=&quot]Sandia SAI Quatro [/FONT]. Good luck!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!