GNC355 and G5s

swtrittswtritt Flight Attendant

I am looking at installing a GNC355 to replace one of my RT385A nav/coms. I also want to install a G5 to compliment the 355. I have been told to first do the HSI version. Others say replace AI first and then HSI later? I also have a TruTrak autopilot. My question is can either of these setups be tied to the TruTrak? With finances tight which would be the best use of funds? My old DG is not processing well so it may need attention sooner than later making decision easy. I would like to install another G5 to replace AI but funds may run out. 2nd G5 may be a later install. Another option that has been mentioned is use an UAvionics AV-30-C for the AI since the HSI would give me guidance from the GNC355. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

S. Tritt
Private Pilot
Ohio

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

HI and thanks for writing. Our avionics pro, Bob Hart, will be on the forum shortly to answer your questions. Please stand by.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited March 30

Hi swtritt. If money is tight, why wouldn't you not just spend $850 and get an overhauled/exchange for your DG vs. spending about $5500 to install the G5/GAD29B? I don't know what or how you fly but if you are flying light IFR, the G5 or the AV-30C is a luxury (in my opinion) in a light IFR platform unless you already have a current audio panel, IFR GPS, modern reliable navcom with ILS for back-up, good ADS-B Out source and enhanced engine management already and still have money to spend on the aircraft. Frankly, If you are just updating an RT-385A, I bet you have other upgrade priorities that should be addressed before you start thinking about EFIS. You are at little risk, even in IFR if your DG fails, on the other hand, a failure of the AI puts you at severe risk so I would always see the AI as the most important tool in or above the clouds. The AV-30C GPS HSI is not legal for IFR at this time. It is as a DG.

• Bob, Does uAvionix now have a HSI version of the AV-30C? Problem is that they do not yet have an A/P interface.

Hi and thanks for writing. I would give uAvionix a phone call directly and get the correct information from them.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Guys,
    Here's what I know about the three issues facing the uAvionix AV-30-C thanks to Shane Woodson, Sales Director at uAvionix:
    1. HEADING DRIFT. Shane suggested that very few pilots are in fact having issues with heading drift. Many who called about it expected that heading and GPS track should be the same. It almost never is. The AV-30-C uses inertial IMU solid state technology. uAvionix has a software update in the works that should be available soon for those who are really experiencing an issue.
    2. HEADING. The AP-Mini interface box that will interface autopilots to the heading bug on the AV-30 is in the works but not likely to be available until 2021. They are targeting S-TEC models first but hope to cover most of the legacy autopilots out there for this.
    3. GPS TRACKING AND COUPLED APPROACHES. The big upgrade that will turn the AV-30 DG into a full GPS HSI requires the AP-10 which will interface the AV-30-C to navigation equipment for tracking. An upgrade to the unit will add vertical deviation and at the that time, the unit should be IFR legal for a GPS couple approach. Again, we won't likely see this until 2021.
    Thanks!

Hi, do you mean 2022?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Ya ... 2022. Time goes by fast whether ... you are having fun or not!