FAA: ADS-B Is Required In 21 Months!

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
From: Federal Aviation Administration [mailto:usafaa@public.govdelivery.com]
Subject: No Kidding: ADS-B Deadline of Jan. 1, 2020, is Firm

News & Update

You are subscribed to News & Updates from the FAA Homepage. This information has recently been updated, and is now available.

No Kidding: ADS-B Deadline of Jan. 1, 2020, is Firm
We have a sense of humor, too, but an April Fool’s joke that the Federal Aviation Administration is extending the ADS-B deadline is just that.
As stated in the final rule published with industry input in May 2010, all aircraft flying in designated controlled airspace – generally the same busy airspace where transponders are currently required – must be equipped with ADS-B Out avionics by Jan. 1, 2020. Only aircraft that fly in uncontrolled airspace, and aircraft without electrical systems, such as balloons and gliders, are exempt from the mandate.
Those who have already equipped understand that ADS-B is transforming the nation’s airspace by providing more precision and reliability than the current radar system, enhancing safety and increasing situational awareness.
Time is running out. There are only 21 months left until the deadline. If you have any questions about equipage – whether you need to or not, what equipment to get, etc. – please see the FAA’s Equip ADS-B website. For information about the transformational technology, visit the ADS-B website.

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Hi everyone,
    Here's the latest ADS-B statistic: As of March 1, 2018, 51,882 aircraft were equipped with ADS-B Out. Of that quantity, 37, 941 were certified fixed-wing aircraft. There are over 150,000 GA aircraft flying with Mode C transponders in the US and no one really knows how many of these aircraft don't need ADS-B Out or access to controlled airspace. One thing is very clear, however, and that is that we don't have the avionics shops capable of doing all of these airplanes before the January 1, 2020 deadline. Looks to me like we could have about 100,000 GA aircraft out of the system by that deadline. Want to by an airplane really cheap? It looks like on January 2, 2020, about 100k airplanes may go up for sale. I'm concerned about all of this. Are you?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!