Flight Review

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

The weather wasn't flyable here in Wisconsin today and so I couldn't complete my flight review. However, I did get an hour of instruction in with my awesome instructor Gene at Spring City Aviation in Burlington, WI (BUU). I'm scheduled to get the flying part done on Thursday. Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather!

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Regarding the flight review. Two weeks ago I purchased a new, weatherproof and waterproof lock from Menards for my hangar because my old lock got water in it and froze solid. The new lock has rubber seals and plastic covers and is totally watertight. It cost about $9 from Menards and is made by Brinks and, of course, from China. I got to the hangar yesterday and took the plastic key-hole cover on the bottom of the lock off so I could put the key in. The cover shattered in my hands. The lock was totally filled with water and frozen solid. I borrowed a propane torch from the shop and melted the water out of it. Unfortunately, the rubber seals and plastic waterproofing all melted, too. So much for my new lock, lol. The rest of the day was uneventful and successful. I had fun in the plane and did emergency engine out landing approaches for the first time in 30 years. It was fun and now I'm good for two more years. I just ordered a King Schools ATP ground school course and in January I'm going to start on my ATP. We'll see how that goes, lol.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain
    edited December 2018

When the engine out landing is simulated, it's actually a fun/challenging maneuver. I just hope I can stay that calm if the engine actually goes out on me one day. I hope all flight instructors do simulated engine outs during all flight reviews. Good luck with your ATP Scott!

Sorry about your lock problems. My hangar doors tend to freeze themselves to the ground.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Thanks so much. I have rubber strips on the bottoms of my hangar doors that freeze to the ground when snow melts and then freezes. I need to fly now while I can still get in the hangar, lol. :) Right now, I'm looking for a new lock! Stay warm

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!