C-150 Fuel Shut-Off Valve Leaking...ohh boy I did it to myself!

edited September 2019 in General Discussion

New to aircraft ownership but love my C-150F born 3-years after me in 1966. It's a cream-puff I got at the local Airport Authority live auction Jan2019. I get it flying and then it needs some maintenance but I'm still smiling! Gonna put it into a flying club once I get it FULLY reliable. How many guys fly with the fuel selector switch safety-wired as per the maintenance manual D637R1-13 rev1 4AUG2003?? I never knew about this and was always moving it to "off" a the end of each flight. Now it leaks and I can't find a rebuild kit because the same manual says on page 13-30 "Do not disassemble Model 150 valve." Anyone know why?? Anyone got ideas on what I should do? KP

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Thanks for writing. Stand by while I send this to our A&P.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Here's the response from our A&P:

Well, that's a requirement I'm not familiar with; but as we always say: "Refer to your aircraft's operating handbook, flight manual, their supplements, placards, markings, and the type Certificate data sheet for information pertinent to your aircraft."

Additionally, if there are instructions that specifically state NOT to disassemble the fuel valve; any valve that HAS been disassembled is a non-airworthy part.

I'd get a replacement valve and safety it per the maintenance manual (being SURE to use the correct safety wire, which I assume is thin brass wire that can be broken in an emergency).

~Erich Rempert, IA Consultant

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited November 2019

Soooo after joining the Facebook group and socializing I can't find anyone flying with it lockwired open. There are folks who just leave it open all the time...and since we got a new (old stock) valve from McFarlane for $475 we plan to leave it open all the time to lower the wear on it and just close it and open it a few times every 6-months or so to "swipe" the ball. This will be consistent with the C-150 checklist that speaks nothing of opening the valve (as it assumes it is already open). Case closed for me.

OK, good to hear. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!