Cessna T182T Mentor

Good day all, I have been lurking for a bit, but wanted to jump in and solicit some help. I fly out of KAPA here in Colorado and am getting closer (3 months) to purchasing a turbo 182 for my family to support occasional work travel in the surrounding mountain towns and hopefully a lot of fun adventures for my wife and two kiddos (11 and 13). I’ve been to a few pilot gatherings but am having issues finding someone to talk to about the T182T. Looking for ownership experiences, suggested flying habits (to take care of the power plant), cross country stories, etc. I have read the Skylane Pilot’s Companion (twice), have a copy of a T182T flying manual and various other internet reference information. I’m now looking for a resource with a pulse. If you smart folks know any direction to point me I will be glad to follow. Thanks for any info and safe flying!!

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi and thanks for the post. What can I do to help? What's your first name so I have something to call you by?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Howard Cribbs here...I would say my inquiry for “help” would be surrounding what to look for during a T182T purchase, how to operate the platform once acquired and any tips/tricks for keeping her safe and efficient. At this point I don’t know what I don’t know, but am looking to join the ranks of other 182 folks with eyes wide open during the pre-purchase, purchase and operational phase of ownership. Thanks for reaching out!

My pleasure, Howard. Let's start with the pre-purchase. Don't buy an airplane without one! So what to look for? On the airframe, #1 is corrosion. Corrosion is dangerous and very expensive to repair. (I had $8,000 in corrosion repair a couple of years ago so I know first hand). Second, engine: Make sure it's not making metal and has lots of time left before overhaul unless you're specifically buying it with the idea of overhauling it. Third, avionics: This is a very expensive area to replace. I'm assuming that the year 2000 airframe that you're looking at is still steam gauges. When you get the plane, plan on removing the vacuum system at some point that budget permits. The Garmin G5's, Aspen system or Garmin G3x are excellent glass systems that you'll love to use and you'll get 30 pounds of useful load back. Also, I'm assuming that the plane already has ADS-B out. If the GPS is old, that will need updating, too. Deals for avionics can be had if you're patient. What else can I help you with?

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks, right now I am looking at a 2004 w/ about 1000 hours (G1000 avionics, KAP140 AP). I know the broker/seller has done some of the pre- work, but I strongly believe in self-advocacy. Is the pre-purchase you mentioned something I should have my local folks (Arapahoe Aero) engage in, or is there a cottage industry of folks that do this as a package service? Not looking to cut corners so I would rather pay a little more upfront with the expectation that we are going to walk away vs putting a lemon in the hangar. Very much appreciate the engagement and help!!

You can have your local guy do it if he has experience in that airplane. You don't want to pay him to learn. Also, are you aware that early G1000's are beginning to fail and will need repair from time to time. Also, the new G1000 upgrade for your plane is over $50,000. And you may need it soon...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks for that, I did some deep diving into the Garmin monopoly and found that it is a mess. The original G1000 with the GIA-63 GPS is not upgradable for WAAS. They manufactured a GIA-63w that was available for a limited time (and now Garmin verified that the GIA-63w is no longer available and original G1000's with the GIA-63 do not have an upgrade path to become WAAS compatible, especially since the footprint is tied to the airframe certification). Is it possible to swap the original G1000 for the NXi model (this was not part of the conversation and the Garmin rep did not mention it as an option)?? If so, does that mean I also have to do the GFC-700 AP upgrade? It almost seems like it would be better for me to get a pre-2004 T182T with the standard 6-pack and add the few digital avionics that I would desire. The lifespan of that original G1000 should be embarrassing to Garmin as many modular systems can be extended through generations of technology with software upgrades and component swaps. Ugh...

Hi, I think you nailed it in your comments above. Get an airplane a year or two newer with steam gauges and do your own upgrade. That way you'll get what you want and it will be new, reliable and under warranty. And you'll save money while you're at it.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I own a 2001 T182T which I bought with 50 hours on it. The plane is perfect for mountain flying. Having the turbo is a big plus, especially in high density situations.

The original avionics was dual KX-155, KLN-94, KMD-550, KT-76, KI-525 HSI, KAP-140.

I recently upgraded all the avionics with dual Garmin G5, Avidyne IFD-550 and IFD-540, and Garmin GTX-345 Transponder with ADS-B in/out. In hindsight, I should have gone with the Aspen Evolution 1000 Pro and Lynx NGT-9000. The latter was being bundled with the Avidyne IFD-550 or IFD-540 but no boxes were available for shipment at the time of my install so went with plan B. The reason I did not go with Aspen was an AD had been issued and not resolved at the time of my install. Another plan B.

The autopilot will have to be replaced when the KC-140 flight control box display gives up. There are no replacement displays available except refurbished. I had to have my display replaced with a refurbished. The same is true with the KX-155 NAV/COM which is why I replaced both with the Avidyne boxes.

I did replace the fuel senders and display with the CIES digital senders and Aerospace Logic digital display. The left analog sender was in need of replacement for the third time and this was a much better solution.

• Thanks for all the details Larry! Do you mind sharing a ballpark number for the hardware and labor?

Larry, sounds like you've done a fine job on your plane. Certain "realities" need to be compensated for in the supply chain and you've done a great job given those realities. Post a pic or two when you have time! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited March 2020

The whole install was right at $65K.

BTW. My plane is serial #4 of the restart.

I need to get some better pictures, but here is one.
    This was at 12K over the Cascades on the way home from Oshkosh.

Wow, way cool!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Love it...amazing job! This discussion has definitely allowed me to broaden my search and be infinitely more versed in the nuances of avionics. Thanks, team!

• Here are better photos. The second shows on the right panel a means of connecting ting a handheld to an outside antenna and audio to COM3 on the audio panel.
  • Larry, many thanks for sharing your panel pics. I have an ‘01 T182T as well and have been thinking about panel upgrades. Yours looks terrific…and I really like the external antenna hookup for a handheld, jic. When I was looking for my plane I found the same issues as Howard described above - if you wanted WAAS you needed an ‘07 or newer, or something with steam gauges and do your own. Thx!

• Just another note on the T182T G1000 discussion. I picked up my 2008 T182T this past August specifically looking for WAAS so if I wanted I could upgrade to NXI . Still on the fence but after purchase (and a good prebuy) I have discovered the push buttons on the PFD and Comm panel really stick resulting in delays on comm and squawk changes. Garmin tech suggested no fix other than swapping them out. Flying IFR and jabbing buttons repeatedly is a non-starter. I changed mine out. Works great now but beware on prebuy.
  • kpstevens727kpstevens727 ATP B727-787 CFI/II/MEI

I bought a wonderful T182 1980 with 3800tt, 35 on 3 blade and brand new turbo.

had to do right side strut AD. Took out vacuum system. G500 autopilot, 2 G275’s, gtx345, JPI930, gtn625, new windshield and totally replaced interior adding insulation as well.

avionics were costly. Interior as well because of replacing windshield. I just love the turbo normalized O540.

Excellent Colorado plane. I live in Arizona and fly Durango, Utah, and a lot high altitude airports.

N5513N

Kevin Stevens-retired :-)

ATP-B727,737,757,767,777,787,DC10,A300,CV580

CFI/II/MEI

Looking great! Now all you need is to send your yokes to YokeUp Interiors and she'll look like a million bucks!

Nicely done, looks like $990,000 now! lol.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!