These Times Of Social Instability ... COVID-19, etc.

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi everyone,
I've been thinking about this whole pandemic thing that we find ourselves going through. It's certainly scary at worst and unsettling at best. We worry about our kids, spouses, parents, friends, jobs and income, and lots of other things. Like what? Like the actual disease, too. So my advice is this: We have a great association here, the Cessna Owners Organization, and you and I are part of it. Let's support each other during this troubling time. Even if what you have to say isn't about airplanes but rather about COVID-19 or related, use the forums to communicate. I'm hear for you and all of our other members are, too. So stay well and fall back on me. I care about all of our members and I'm dedicated to you. Stay well.

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• I had to get tested last week. I had a dry cough and other symptoms. My wife is an RN that works for the county health department and is actively working in their Covid-19 crisis center.

My personal doctor happened to have accepted the role as director of our county health department and is elbow deep in dealing with containment of the local outbreak.

I didn’t have a fever so I didn’t think the test was necessary but she and our doctor decided I did. It was negative and my cough went away I was released from self-isolation.

The test is very unpleasant but if you need it you need it.

In the end, the reason my wife and doctor insisted on the test is that my wife is one of the people that has to contact everyone with a positive test to tell them what they should do, to get info on how they could have contracted the disease, and to try to figure out who they may have passed it onto,

That means they get first hand information on how devastating this can be when it goes wrong. Most people will have mild symptoms and most won’t even seek treatment so we’ll never know about them.

However, this can, and does, go from a strong-healthy 40 year-old father of three having a little cough and a low fever one day, to him being in intensive care on a respirator the next, and then passing away three days later.

My wife is trying to help his wife so that case is really bothering her. The one that is ticking her off the most is an RN that is positive, has a 3 year old daughter and a 5 year old son but is still cooking meals and caring for them.

She is also still sleeping in the same bed as her husband. He’s still working, and doing the shopping, so he’s probably passing this on to everyone he comes in contact with.

My wife said that virtually everyone that she’s interviewed to try to find out where they got covid-19 was not practicing social distancing, using gloves or hand sanitizer, or following the other recommendations.

She said that most are not following guidelines since getting a positive test. That’s why the number of active cases is nearly doubling every day in our county and why it will be hard to stop the spread.

Please follow the guidelines, Avoid crowds or going anywhere you’ll come into close contact with others unless there is no other option. When you do go out, please where gloves or use hand-cleaner. Wash your hands thoroughly before touching your face or anyone in your family.

Finally, remember that you can be contagious for three days before showing any symptoms. Wear a non-surgical mask. It’s not to protect you, It’s to protect anyone you come in contact with. The mask helps limit how far water droplets from your breath or especially a sneeze of cough can go.

If you do have any kind of cough, fever, or even just feel ‘off’, stay home and stay as far away as possible from anyone you care about. You don’t want to be the one that gave it to someone else.

Gary

Gary Van Dyke

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Gary, words to live by, literally. Thanks so much for posting this and I wish your family healthy days ahead.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!