C182B windows seals

The windows seals on the 182B are shot ... looking for new widow seals but Cessna no longer sources them (pn S1378-1-84.00 which is now superseded to S1378-2-84.00) ... some companies (Knots 2 You, etc) have "replacement" seals but they are nothing more than the cheap square foam with adhesive on one side which is very similar to the screen door foam seals carried at the local DIY stores ... does anyone have a viable source for window seals similar to the original u-channel seals ?

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Aircraft Spruce?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• They resell the one that Knots-2-U has which is the square foam with adhesive; really would like to locate a u-channel solution (similar to the original) someplace ... thanks ...

• HESSAEROHESSAERO Comml SEL/MEL, Inst, A&P/IA

I recently replaced the transparencies in our R182, and elected to put in 1/4 inch plexi in place of the OEM 1/8 inch. Thicker plexiglass really reduced the vibration from propeller pressure pulses in the windows. To install the thicker transparency, you dump the Cessna extruded rubber channel, and in its place apply one strip of one-inch vinyl tape to the plexi perimeter. That goes over the edge of the window about 3/8 inch on each side, but the tape is hidden by the window frame. The window frame gets some sealant applied before the window is inserted. So far we are pretty happy with the improvement.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

That's excellent and I think everyone should be doing this at window replacement time. Do you have any pics from the project?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!