My 1984 Skylane 182R

I purchased my 1984 Skylane 182R last October. One of the great selling points for me is that this airplane was a Civil Air Patrol maintained aircraft with low engine hours SMOH. I have been looking for a 182 for three years and I waited long enough so that I ended up paying double the price. I’m a retired Fire Chief so I don’t have a lot of money but I want to upgrade my interior a little at a time. I started with trying to replace my console cover and found only a new one at Cessna for $1500? That’s not a good first impression of the cost of keeping my airplane looking like new. $850 for a new map compartment door? Does anyone have experience with a good, reasonable interior shop? I’m based in Rifle, Colorado so the west would be best.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    edited April 2022

Hi and thanks for writing. I've owned 8 planes over fifty years and have reupholstered five of them with Airtex Kits. If you use a custom shop you're looking at $20k+ depending on what you're doing for an interior. Don't forget shop rates are at around $100/hour now. With a DIY interior kit you're talking $6k to $8k. Windows $2k. Panel $20k to $50k. Don't forget a new 182 is $600k and parts are priced for a new plane, not an old one. So go slow and buy what you can and learn to do it yourself with a little help from your mechanic when you need it. We're here to help too, so rely on us! Good luck.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I had a complete new interior done on my T210L nineteen months ago by Great Planes Interiors in Clinton, Oklahoma. I have new leather seats with new foam, new leather headliner, custom woven wool carpet, all new interior plastics. Im very pleased. Around $12,000.

• edited May 2022

Also new sound deadening insulation.

Nice people to work with, too.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Looks fabulous! :) Great pics

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I appreciate your comments and I will look at the interior kit. Skyguy’s interior looks great.