Is an aircraft required to be weighed after painting?

Is there a specific reference to a part 43 FAR requiring newly painted aircraft be weight? Thank you

Comments

• planewrenchplanewrench IA 48yr A&P DAL A/C Inspector

Off the top of my head, no references that I am aware of . In general, unless you are painting a plane that NEVER had paint, it technically would be a wash on removal of old and application of new paint. So unless you are adding like 200 lbs of paint on a 747, me thinks you are fine. Always a good opportunity tho.. Carl

IA 47yr A&P DAL A/C Inspector 172n

• I had my 210M painted (and removed old paint) and the very competent aviation paint shop said I didn't need to reweigh the plane, But I did so anyway. It weighed more than the 43 year old original W/B.

John

• I've weighed lots of planes and every single one of them weighted more than what ever their calculated revised weight and balance records showed.

CFR Part 43 is very short and has no reference at all to painting. The only requirement is to check the primary flight controls for balance which is called out in the aircraft service manual.

• Also, Part 43 is very short. You can check it out yourself at www.faa.gov

• Even though you are not required to weigh your plane after painting, it is a good idea. Multi-coat finishes will increase weight even on a small plane. I have weighed several 40 year old planes after they have had substantial work done and they all gained weight over calculated W&B.