O2 System T182T

I own an '05 T182T with an O2 tank that has reached its 15 yr life span. My mechs want $6800 to replace tank and overhaul regulator which I think is outrageous. Other than transitioning to a portable system do I have any other options? Can I purchase a replacement tank and install it without a 337 approval? I do not use the system much but I like the flexibility it offers. Any help would be welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi Keith,

Contact Aerox and ask their advice. https://www.aerox.com/

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Sticker shock is not unusual. The tank is the most expensive portion of the bill. I do not have the invoice handy for mine but it was closer to $8000.

I have a 2001, T182T. Personally, for multiple reasons, I would replace the tank.

• I went to Aerox and Textron for a new O2 tank this past fall. Textron wanted $4k and I got the tank through Aerox for $1500. Four month lead time AND they did not require payment in advance. They were easy to deal with. I did not replace the regulator. No requirement and it works fine. Install was $250.

Steve Speer

2008 T182T

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Good work, Steve. Aerox is a good company.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks for the comments. I reached out to several companies including Aerox and got very different prices for a new tank and regulator overhaul, yet all were significantly less than what I was originally quoted. My concern is the 15 yr tank life which is legal only from the date of manufacture. All the CO's Ive contacted had tanks 1-2 years old already in stock which reduces that lifespan accordingly, shouldn't the price reflect that? To my knowledge portable systems do not have lifespan limitations or require specialized installation so i am seriously considering such. Why does the FAA make permanent O2 systems so un-user friendly? Aircraft ownership is already wildly expensive.

• Actually the new tank I rec’d in Nov had either a Sept or Oct date of Manufacture (at this hour I can’t put my hands on the paperwork BUT I had taken a picture of it). So it was October. Hope this helps.

Steve