Voltage Spike

Getting a off and on Voltage spike after a recent work done on my panel. replaced my voltage reg and Alt. What else should I be looking at ? Thanks

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Can you take a video and post it here? That might help...

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• planewrenchplanewrench IA 48yr A&P DAL A/C Inspector

Mystery plane, 150, 210 340 421,,, what is it?

IA 47yr A&P DAL A/C Inspector 172n

• Sorry 1978 182Q, and if I new how to post a video I would :(

Assuming you have a overvoltage light on the panel? If not popping a c/b, the overvoltage sensor is kicking in for some reason. Loose connector in system, or damaged wire in the field circuit. OV sensors do go bad. Get the wiring diagram out and start looking at runs and connectors. Not many in the charging system. Carl

• Thank Carl, I do have a JPI 930. I'll start looking

So EXACTLy where are you seeing indicaton of voltage spike? carl

• On my JPI 930, it's going up too 30.7 volts then back down to 29.5, Back and forth very quickly . Amps are fine.

Ron, first of all what you are seeing is not really a voltage spike. More of a hunting or fluctuation. BIG difference. What you are seeing is WELL within limits so far. If it happened after panel work, then a connection or a splice is loose somewhere.. Even the power to the jpi may be suspect. ALSO, isolate all components one at a time to see it the fluctuation changes.

A SPIKE of over 31.5/7 will trip the reg. You are nowhere near that. Since what was done behind panel is unknown to me, start with the basic checks of connections.... ASSUMING you did not see this before.

carl

Oh, one more thing to check, make sure the connections on the battery are clean and tight. Would not be the first time i ever saw loose ones afte a shop visit.

carl

• Conclusion, it was the main wire to the Buss bar that was lose. Apparently when the panel work was done it got loose some how. All is good now and a Big thank you to planewrench 😁

Welcome Ron. Fly on! CArl