Electric Trim for Garmin AP

Hello

I am interested in installing the Garmin AP in my 182. I have recovered from the shock of the install quote but was wondering if I could save some money by not installing the extra servo for the trim.

My 182E has no AP installed so i am quite used to the trim wheel. I know of a few 172 installs that don’t have the electric trim with the owners happy without it. My shop is saying I need it due to the plane being “nose heavy”

i have heard that maybe the stc does not apply to electric trim in the E model.

Also how have the servos held up? I am hearing some that are failing within 100 hours. Have any owners had problems with replacement and getting them fixed with any warranty?

Comments

• Nobody has any thoughts?

• Well I am also Interested in Installing Garmin AP in my 182Q, But Dang the price !!!. I was also looking at Trio Autopilot.

• Hello. I have a Trutrac 2 axis autopilot in my 1980 182Q coupled to a 530w and two G5’s. It flies an RNAV approach perfectly, and it tells me when I need to add nose up or down trim. I don’t have electric trim and it’s not a big deal for a single engine aircraft. In my opinion, you don’t really need it, depending on your mission of course.

John

• I had it installed with my GFC install and love it. I think it keeps me in perfect pitch trim by itself and seems to have increases my TAS in level flight when the AP is in altitude hold.

• Get autotrim! My club has one airplane with and anther without. Convenience and safety are both enhanced in the autotrim.

• Had an old S-Tech 30. When it needed trim it beeped for pilot to adjust the trim. Hated that beep as I had to explain to passengers what it was and it was annoying especially during bumpy rides. (My joke was kitchen is telling me the eggs are ready to be served). I put the electric trim with the new Garmin GFC 500 and it is heaven. I like the fact that even after turning off AP to land you have a thumb button instead of reaching for trim wheel. Put the electric trim. Quality will be remembered way after price is forgotten.

• +1 on the trim. Our TR182 was around 20k to take the stec out and install the garmin.

The original servos had some drama, but garmin fixed that issue and those units are allegedly out of the inventory now…cd

• kpstevens727kpstevens727 ATP B727-787 CFI/II/MEI

I've had g500 with the trim and it's nice to just relax and enjoy the abilities of the 500. Why put in a 500 then skimp out on the one servo? go ahead and shoot the lock off the wallet and get the full abilities of the 500!

Kevin Stevens-retired :-)

ATP-B727,737,757,767,777,787,DC10,A300,CV580

CFI/II/MEI

• Having two sons in university with one doing an Aviation BSC the AP plans are on hold now. But seeing and hearing people’s opinions the trim will be the add on that I will include.

now I am hoping for a lotto win :)

Wish me luck.

• Have the GFC-500 in a Cessna 180. Great AP. Didn’t have the option of any electric trim in the 180. Do I miss it? You bet! The “old” electric trims were unreliable, so the bush operators told us(I was in Engr Flt Test at Cessna) to never install electric trim in their airplanes! Therefore, the 180/185s never got electric trim. Today, it would be easy to make a 180/185 with good, reliable electric trim. It takes LOTS of trim wheel at level off or in the pattern - it is what it is. FYI - here’s a trick I learned from a buddy with another 180. When in summer day thermals/sink don’t crank on the trim wheel when flying from lift to sink, or vice versa. Just apply a little control wheel force to offload the servo and avoid the TRIM UP/DN light. Easier than lots of trim wheel effort.