Flying San Diego to Boston 182RG

Greetings:

I taking ownership of a 182RG and planning on flying it back (with instructor) to Boston. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards:

JR

Comments

• jrxgarrett: could you be more specific; are you looking for advice on mixture control at high altitudes, how to dodge high mountains or looking for a specific route or something else.

• Suggested route from KSEE going east, VFR thanks

• Remember, opinions are worth what you paid for them. Starting far south with basically unknown AC: work your way through restricted areas and basically head direct El Paso, TX. This keeps you south of the high mountains. Then, pretty much direct choosing landscape you want to fly over. For the last 40 yrs, most of my cross countries were done with C210 or T210; so, put on O2, climb and go direct so my opinion is a little jaded.

Good luck and enjoy. If you can, take at least a week and enjoy the trip with fun stops. Oh, I forgot, you're taking an instructor.

Jack

• Assuming your not IFR but your instructor is. Even though your not going to fly IFR look at the low altitude IFR charts with your instructor. Many routes (airways) towards home have a MEA (minimum enroute altitude) of 11,000', meaning you can climb up to 11,500' not require oxygen, be in contact with center and clear of obstructions.

Now just an idea, VFR to MON (Winslow, AZ) -ABQ via Victor12, Zuni VOR -V12, ABQ VOR take V60-234-291 22 miles than direct Otto VOR V12 to the Anton Chico VOR than direct DHT (Dalhart Tx) which is great stop, been there many times, good restaurant on field and staff wonderful. The FBO will blow you away how nice it is. It's all downhill from there!!

Once you depart SEE, pay attention to your climb gradients and density altitude, I would leave early in the morning and you will be fine. Gonna be some slower than normal climbs around ABQ and this is where you really want to pay attention to your aircraft performance. Don't head towards mountains until you can see over them and you reach that MEA. Also this time of year probably won't be an issue going West to east, but please look at the winds aloft along your route in the mountains. Getting on backside of mountains with a decent wind at the tops can ruin your day. Not knowing what mountain flying experience your instructor has please make sure this and aircraft performance are something he knows well.

I flew T182 from Phoenix to Tulsa several years ago, donned oxygen for just a short time but we probably didn't have to. Unless you have coexisting health issues like respiratory issues 11,5k will be fine for little bit but if you have access to O2 never hurts to don it above 10K.

If you are not IFR this sounds complicated but with Fore flight its pretty easy to do VFR, You and your aircraft are more than capable of doing this. If I can help in anyway reach out happy to help. I'm based out of RVS in Tulsa if you make a stop let me know.

Cheers

Just a carbureted guy in fuel injected world!

• I made the trip in a TR182 during a two week, cross country trip from Ocala, FL to San Diego and Santa Maria and back with my wife and son. Trip of a lifetime. As suggested by others, if you fly a southern route south of the Rockies, you’ll be fine, but be aware you’ll be flying over a lot of desert. We made sure we flew IFR, I follow roads, and followed the interstate. On one leg, we flew from San Antonio to Tucson, with a fuel stop in El Paso. The weather was severe clear, but this flat lander wasn’t prepared for the afternoon desert thermals that rocked us shortly after we got to 10,000 feet. We had to dump the gear and slow to maneuvering speed to get through it. If I had it to do over, I would stay in El Paso and fly on in the morning. All that aside, however, the Pima Air Museum and the Davis Monthan boneyard are not to be missed.

Have fun in your trip and enjoy your new aircraft.

Jim Wood.

• Thanks everyone, I made it back, and did stop Dalhart, funny story no cabs or ober to the hotel. Trip of a lifetime.

thanks all

• They didn't let you use the Escalade? Share some specifics of your trip, there is quite the contrast of scenery making that trip!

Just a carbureted guy in fuel injected world!