water in oil analysis

Hello, I have a lycoming tsio 540 with approx. 2000 hrs. Over the course of my last 2 oil changes, Blackstone has noted water in the samples and were unable to perform flashpoint testing. They suggested checking the air/oil separator as it may be the cause. My engine likes 9 quarts, I change oil every 25-30 hrs, adding only 1 quart between changes, and fly regularly. most flights are 2-3 hrs where oil temp is 195 deg. Water in oil makes acids that degrade metal, my engine is "mature" but running well and all other oil sample parameters have been excellent. Should I be concerned. Thanks

Comments

• This is an oil report that I got a couple of oil changes ago. This was the one time that I wasn't able to fly the plane right before taking the sample, (due to low ceilings). The best I could do was an extended runup and a couple of high-speed taxi's, which didn't get the oil temp into the normal range.

On previous oil samples my water was 0.0%, but on this one they showed it as "POS"

And, BTW, the elevated copper level turned out to be caused by using Aeroshell W100 Plus. Since then I've changed to W100 and adding Camguard. That brought my copper levels down dramatically.

• Ive considered the possibility of mechs doing oil change on cold engine instead of soon after I've flown and I wonder if this is the cause. I've always used Phillips XC 20-50 with camguard and have never had a problem.

• planewrenchplanewrench IA 48yr A&P DAL A/C Inspector

On a tsio i would expect all kinds of heat going into the oil. I would highly suspect issue with the seperator, like no air being injected into it or the outlet is being blocked. Depending on the unit you have, I would find a way to insp and clean it before doing anything else. This is one reason that personally, not a big fan of oilseps.

carl

IA 47yr A&P DAL A/C Inspector 172n