Outside tiedown in Florida?

Hi everyone. First a general note: I enjoy the COO magazine, but I was questioning the cost this summer. Then I had an issue with my tail beacon. After some looking elsewhere I remembered the forum here - bam, almost instant help. I am very grateful and reminded that there is more to the Organization then just the magazine!

Next of course is a new question: We are fortunate to have our plane in a hangar here in Wisconsin, but I would like to spend a couple of months in Florida this winter, maybe January through some of March and take our 172. I’ve nosed around a little but haven’t found any hangars available in the area I’m planning on staying. All the nearby airports do have tiedowns available, so my question is: What are the Florida hazards of tying down outside that time of year? Anyone have recommendations about covers or anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Sainsbury
N3862L

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    edited October 2023

Hi Jim,

I live in Wisconsin, too. So here's what I learned about Florida. In 2004 I purchased a plane from Venice Beach, FL that had been outside for a couple of years. When I got it home I did a corrosion check and there was corrosion everywhere, even inside the cabin and the engine mounts. I did get it under control with ACF50 and lots of disassembly, cleaning and priming. And $10,000 to replace part of the floor and vertical stabilizer spar. So be careful! There's salt in the rain!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hmmm, that doesn’t sound good 🙁.

Jim Sainsbury
    N3862L

• Jim,

I have a plane in Sebring, FL and it is in a hangar. It is what we do here in Fl because of the often severe weather and strong sun that fades and cooks things very well.

The winter months give us a break from some of the severe weather (T-storms with wind and hail can really mess an airplane up). Covers for the windows is a good option, or at the very least an internal windshield reflector panel for the sun and heat. Strong tie-down ropes or cables and chocks are also a good idea. the area where you are considering the tie down area, be sure the surround area is clean and kept clean so winds don't blow stuff at your plane and if you are lucky the tie down may be protected by some building/hangars.

Where in FL were you consider coming to? I may know some folks who might be able to help.

John Rousch - johnrousch73@gmail.com

• Hi John, thanks for your input. Our new RV resort is in Bowling Green Florida. Wachula, Avon Park airports are pretty close, and Arcadia is a little further and Sebring is a little further maybe. I’m on a waiting list at Sebring but the rest didn’t even want that. The closer airports all have tie downs available, but I do worry about a storm.

If you do happen to know anyone with any ideas, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim Sainsbury
    N3862L

• Hi Jim, I have a TR182 that I take to Florida for Jan thru April from The Pittsburgh area. Tie downs are normally not a problem to get but hangers even community ones are. Expect to pay 65-150 per month for a tie down. I have a full cockpit cover and covers for my pitot and turbo inlet. Generally the Florida weather is very comfy 60 in the am to about 82 in the afternoon. Sebring being midstate is far enough from the surf salt and heavy dew in the mornings that it rarely causes an issue. As far as storms and wind Fla dose get days in the winter with frontal passages of winds to 30kts so get good solid tie down straps, don’t worry about hail or two much rain in the winter it’s generally dry not like the summers, which can be tough for any plane at tiedown. I have homes in both Destin and Sarasota, and my mechanic says the most effected part of the airplane in my case is the wheels and brakes which get wet and require more freq. bearing replacement and the nav and tail light sockets need extra cleaning when I get it back to Pa. Also make sure your fuel cap seals are waterproof if it’s outside. Take care, welcome to Fla. N736RQ

• Hi Michael, thank you so much for your input and advice. I had almost given up on the idea of bringing our plane down, but now you have given me hope. 🙂

Jim Sainsbury
    N3862L