Genesys

Have anybody put in a Stex 3100 AP in a 182Q , and which one is better Genesy Stex 3100 or Garmin GFC 500. Elect. trim of course

Comments

• I had the gfc500 in my 182. I currently have the stec3100. Both pretty equal units. The gfc500 will be better coupled with garmin glass. Overall use I prefer the stec3100. Now if comparing to the gfc600 with the independent display - I might prefer the 600

• I have the GFC 500. I’m sure the performance of the STEC 3100 and GFC 500 perform very similar. Why did I go with the GFC 600? Human factors. Garmin used a Mode Select Panel using lessons learned from the large a/c industry (biz jerts & airliners). The lateral/vertical select buttons are very segregated and vertically positioned in a very logical manner. Has dedicated HDG & ALT knobs that drive bugs on the PFD - all on same panel as select buttons, and not multi-purpose knobs that do different things at different times. Pitch knob with 1 KIAS/100 ft/min “clicks” that allow selection by feel - want 500 ft/min? Select 5 “clicks” up while tending to other things, verify on PFD = done! Avionics companies like non-tactile digital controls because there are easier to implement. But, mechanical knobs/wheels reduce confusion. They both work fine in a low stress, VFR condition. How will they work in the clouds on a high workload environment? I know I’m long winded, but Garmin has done things very similar to how the “big guys” have learned work best. Makes the plane work like biz jets I’ve flown in flight test. Yeah, I have an opinion!

• Ron, unless your aircraft is all Garmin, I would recommend the STEC 3100. It interfaces much easier with other avionics. The GFC 500 is oriented towards Garmin avionics. Hope this helps.

• Marten, I have a GTN Garmin 750 and Apen ProMax PFD, I'am leaning to the STEX 3100 mostly because of what I here about the servo issues on the Garmin