Unbalanced fuel draw in 182 with selector on both?

I just completed the annual on my 1979 C182Q. The selector was set to either the left or right (can’t remember) when I picked it up. I turned the selector to “Both” and took off. When I landed I had used 17 gallons in my right tank but only 3 in my left. Any ideas on what is going on?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• edited July 28

Just my thoughts, I am not an A&P but i did stay at a Holiday Inn on my way back home from Oshkosh

This is a fairly well known issue. It could be the check valve in the crossover pipe or a plugged fuel cap vent the red plug on the bottom of the fuel caps can be replaced if they are not venting i have read. I am not sure where you can acquire them. I think the easiest thing to check is the placement of your tank vent behind the wing strut. My 182 E has one on the left wing There is a measurement of something like .19” that it needs to be put to

Mine did the same but not as bad. We put it back to factory spec placement with a measurement from the Maintenance Manual and it is much better. If it is your crossover pipe and or check valve, McFarlane sells one that seems to work really well from what i have read.

I bet someone will be along with more thoughts.

• I have the same issue on my TR182RG. It takes fuel hard off the left tank unless I have the fuel valve on the right tank. I’ve adjusted the vents behind the strut and they are close. I need to find the spec and get more exact. Both vents are open and the valve is working.

• planewrenchplanewrench IA 48yr A&P DAL A/C Inspector

The specs for the vent placement are easily found in the m/m . Nice picts and measurements.

Also, check caps, for security and vent check valve condition.

carl

IA 47yr A&P DAL A/C Inspector 172n