Older Pilot Insurance

I read with much interest the latest Cessna Owner Magazine article by Avemco about Insururance Tips for older pilots. I recently received the dreaded letter from Avemco that informed me that because of my age (79) my premium was increasing significantly and if I wanted to continue coverage I would need an annual third class FAA medical instead of BasicMed. It seems us older pilots are crashing our little planes all over the place due to our aging health issues because we aren't competent enough to know when we aren't healthy enough to fly. Of course my FAA AME couldn't just give me a physical and sign me off. He wants reports from my primary physician, a cardiologist, an optomogist, and a lab report. All that has to be processed by the FAA. That could take a year or more not to mention the cost. I'm a healthy senior citizen and have no conditions that would prevent me from flying my Cessna 175 out for breakfast or a Flyin or just to stay current flying around the patch. However, in spite of all the glowing words of Avemco saying how they are there to help and assist the older pilot, they have essentially grounded me. Plus, they have made their insurance null and void. If I made a claim they wouldn't pay it because I no longer meet their criteria. However, If I cancel, I'll never get any insurance again. Try getting them on the phone, Be prepared for an hour wait while you listen to ATC conversation instead of music and " Your call is important....". I tried emailing them from their website. Their Contact button just leads you in a circle and never gives you an actual place to write something. It says to contact your agent. I don't have an agent. What a dilemma!

Comments

• Sounds to me like you need a different AME. I am 84 and my AME has never required any documentation of any kind. He just asks me questions about my health and does the physical exam and issues the second class certificate. I also am insured by Avemco and have never had any trouble getting them on the phone after a short wait listening to ATC. Incidentally, my AME is ex USAF and is close to my age and still flies his own C210.

• The wait time for the phone could be because of the recent hurricanes. I'm sure the lines are busy with damaged planes (probably owned by senior pilots).