Looking for Transatlantic Flight Prep Info

I'm looking into possibility of making a transatlantic flight from US, through Canada, to the UK and back in August 2018 for the adventure. I'd like to discuss this with anyone that has actually done it. I know many ferry pilots make a living doing this, but I'm more interested in discussing with non-ferry PPLs that have done it VFR because their experiences would be more similar to my own. But, of course hearing from pros is always helpful.

Plan is to buy a 172N, maybe with 180 HP conversion, add some decent avionics, plus HF radio, add a 30+ gal back seat area aviation fuel bladder. Get all the recommended survival gear with training (raft, immersion suit...).

The likely route is CYYR - BGBW - BIKF - EGPC. I'd start in Seattle, fly cross US, probably up through Maine into Canada onto CYYR, then wait for favorable weather and winds. Reverse the trip in about 7 days.

For one thing, I'm looking for first-hand experience with the various govt agencies. I've flown into Canada several times, so am familiar with standard border crossing, but how do you apply for transatlantic? How about the Greenland, Iceland and UK agencies - what's generally involved? What involvement, over a standard crossing, if any, is the US CBP involved?

I know about the difficulty, people say, in getting aviation insurance - how did you handle this? Do some, maybe all, agencies require SAR insurance or bonds?

Any special problems in getting an aviation approved fuel bladder installed? Will an FAA form 337 get it done, or is an STC'ed bladder required? What's approx cost for the A&P hours? Can bladder be removed by owner, or by A&P only?

Since this is a one-time adventure trip, are there any opportunities to rent any of the special gear, such as fuel bladder, or raft? I've actually seen raft rentals in the back of some aviation magazines, which is why I ask.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Bob

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Hi, I've contacted famed author Bill Cox to see if he has time to talk to you. It may be a while as he may be out of the country on a ferry flight. In the meantime, it sure would be nice to have you as a member! How about joining? I hope so!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

I understand that Bill Cox is going to call you. How about joining our great organization? We need members just like you! Click here to join. http://cessnaowner.org/join/ :) I hope you do!

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• bobcbobc Navigator
    Thanks for hooking me up with Bill Cox, Scott, I look forward to talking with him. I've read many of his ferry flight articles over the years, in fact his articles have much to do with me wanting to make the transatlantic flight. I will send my cell phone number to cooadmin so that he can call me.

I did join. I hope my subscription get's linked to my existing account. I used the same email address, so I suspect it will. At least the confirmation arrived fine.

Bob
  • bobcbobc Navigator
    I'm the OP - just following up:
    I did join Cessna Owners Org, and I plan to be more active in the forums soon.
    I have tried to contact Bill Cox, and will post a follow-up after I talk with him and have more info.

Bob
    Best of luck, Bob. I'm looking forward to hearing your recap. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I flew the Atlantic for 5 years when I was with UAL. Make sure you understand crossing procedures - Unlike like the Pacific crossings, where you can pick up your entire clearance sitting on the ground in the US; There a several "fiefdoms" that control the airspace out in the Atlantic. Your clearance will only take you to a coast-out fix, then you must receive your clearance to enter the NARS (North Atlantic Route System) which takes you to a coast-in fix. From there you need to pick up your clearance to enter the NERS (Northern European Routing System). London is also challenging, with their noise sensors and their requirement to cross fixes maintaining a constant descent to a fix. If you level off at any point before crossing the fix, you can be fined for unnecessarily polluting the environment or whatever they call it. All airliners crossing the Atlantic monitor 121.5