Cessna 182RG Com Antennas?

I have just recently purchased a 1980 Cessna 182RG. My plane does not have the white Com antennas on top of the wing. I think these are the Com antennas, that is. What I'm referring to are the two white antennas that are mounted on top of the wing that are about 12 to 15 inches in height that angle backwards towards the tail. It seems that every other Cessna 182 and 172 for that matter all have those antennas mounted there. I have yet to see a single picture of another 182 or 172 that does not have those antennas in that location and using that type of antenna. I'm sure the antennas are there somewhere either located in the wings or in the tail somewhere. I've not owned the plane long enough to know whether I have an acceptable range using the antennas as currently installed. It just seems to me that somewhere along the way that Cessna must have decided that those antennas function best if they are located on top of the wing using those type of antennas. I'm trying to decide whether to install new antennas on the wing top just as it seems every other one is installed. If anyone has any light they could shed on this question, I'd be much appreciative.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Hi and thanks for writing. On almost all of the airplanes that I've looked at the com antennas are on the roof somewhere. However, they make com antennas for the belly of the airplane, too. My guess is that Cessna mounts them on the top of the wing for ease of installation and to keep the coax short. On my plane the com antennas are on the top near the tail. As I'm also an amateur radio enthusiast (ham), I can tell you that ten to twenty feet of coax does not have a noticeable amount of signal attenuation. Find a place that works for you and your radio guy and don't worry about it :) Have a great 4th of July!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!