Commercial Training Single or Multi first?

Good day everyone. New member here. I am exploring getting my commercial ticket. If I do it, I am going to want both my single and my multi commercial rating. FYI I have my private, instrument, and multi ratings. One school tells me that it is best to get the initial rating in my T310R, then add on the Single. Another school tells me it is better to do all the training in the single then add on the multi. Any ideas on which way is the best way?
Thanks for any feed back.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Hi, in 2016 I got my Commercial Multi in my Seneca and I'm not pursuing the single but I have some thoughts on it. Get the multi in your plane first because you're comfortable in it and it will take the shortest amount of time. Then go do the single. Good luck and let us know how you're doing!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott, My only issue with doing the Multi first in my plane is that I am really concerned about how hard all those engine outs are on my turbo charged engines.
  • Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    Keeping in mind that I did it in my turbo Seneca I can relate to your concern. When I did mine I explained to both my instructor and my DPE examiner my concern and I found them both very sensitive to the issue. Both of them allowed me to do engines outs slowly and carefully. It took about 20 hours of instruction for the Commercial Multi and about 10 engine outs. No issues with the engines! Does this help?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Yes, that does help Thanks