Sixty Two Lima

My flying partner and I purchased this low time airplane/high time engine 5 years ago. It is a 1965 172G. Logs show that it has always had excellent care. Last owner was an A&P and repainted with a more modern scheme. As the original engine ages we have had a few mechanical glitches over the years, and now fear that the $$$ overhaul isn’t to far off. Just got a compliment at a nearby grass strip about how nice and smooth the engine sounded as I was landing. I guess the O-300’s extra cylinders really help.

Jim

Jim Sainsbury
N3862L

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Beautiful bird. When it comes time to overhaul, there are many good places for that task. Checkout Poplar Grove in Illinois and Airmark Overhaul in Florida. I've used both with excellent results.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hey Jim I'm putting this picture into the February issue. thank you!

Digital Product Manager
    Cessna Owner Organization

That's going to look really nice! Wow, Rocky, that's really nice of you!

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Nice airplane! I have a 1965 172 which is an F model. My engine is also reaching TBO and may be looking at an overhaul soon. But, the O-300 engine is still running smooth and compressions are good-let's hope it stays that way!

Fingers crossed on that! I've overhauled my share of engines over the decades and I, too, would really like to avoid another as long as possible. How about posting a couple of pics of your bird?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• If you do use the picture and want to include my partners name: Arnie Billig

Jim

Jim Sainsbury
    N3862L

Okay, much thanks Jim!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• got Arnie's name thank you

Digital Product Manager
    Cessna Owner Organization

• Great looking Jim

Gary Van Dyke

• Hey Jim, that is a beauty!