Autogas STC.

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

I have a few members inquiring about the auto gas STC. Here's the link: https://www.autofuelstc.com/ . Do you have this STC? What are your experiences?

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• I have had the Petersen auto fuel STC on my Cessna 182J Skyhawk since 1991. I used it regularly for the next ten to 15 years or so, often mixing/alternating with 100LL. I never used auto fuel which contained alcohol. I have never had any trouble or problems with the auto fuel or engine during that time. After a normal major overhaul in 2004, I was advised not to use auto fuel - I think because of concern for developing sticking valves- and have not used it since that time. Although it would not be my first choice, I would not hesitate using it if it became necessary. Prior to purchasing the Cessna, I also had the auto fuel STC on my Stinson 108-2 with a Franklin engine. I flew that with mostly auto fuel for about 8-10 years with no problems related to the fuel.
    Reece Peterson

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Thanks so much, Reece. Good to know!

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Cessna64242Cessna64242 Flight Attendant

I owned a Grumman AA1A with a Lycoming O-235 with the EAA auto fuel STC. I flew it from 2005-2017 with no problems. In 2010 I purchased a C172M with O-320 150HP (600 hours on engine) and purchased the Peterson STC. I’ve always burned non-alcohol auto fuel with octane rating in our area of 91. My plug fouling and plug accumulation were/are dramatically reduced with auto fuel. Also oil sample trending results show extreme reduction of lead in oil sample. I don’t/can’t run auto fuel all the time due to unavailablity when traveling distances or IF I know I’m not going to be flying for several weeks. Auto fuels start breaking down after 28 days. In my other life (job) I’m a heavy duty diesel instructor for 34 years so I know the internal workings of even our antique gas aviation engines. What I’ve observed at various aviation shops, listening to experienced A&P’s and published data is 100LL is necessary for higher compression Aviation engines (octane) and necessary for valve/guide lubrication. What I’ve witnessed and have photos of disassembled O-320 valves is that over time (hours of operation) excessive lead accumulates on valve stem and starts to gully out the valve guide and/or contributes to valve sticking. So when my low compression O-320 is overhauled I will probably burn 100LL for the first 100 hours to provide initial valve guide/stem lubrication then back to non-ethanol auto fuel as per STC.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Thanks so much, I'm learning about the auto-fuel STC.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!