Locking Gas Caps

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

One of our members reports having 15 gallons of 100LL siphoned out of his tanks overnight this week. Have you ever experienced that? Have you purchased locking gas caps or taken any other preventive measures?

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Was this your home field? I would move my plane to a place with better neighbors and security. If a distant FBO I would complain loudly and on the web if that's what it took for them to add 15 gallons to my tank.
  • Had entire left tank (44 gallons) siphoned overnight at Cable Airport in Southern CA (KCCB). Was parked under a canopy along with complete junk airplanes, cars, campers.....junk. Did complain about that and a "short approach'er" totally cutting me off on short final, I seemed to be the only one that really cared. Will NEVER land there again.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Wow, another story worth noting.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

I have received an email from John Bailey at Knots2U. I asked him if he sold or knew anyone that sold locking gas caps. Unfortunately, his response was "no". Sorry!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Aircraft Spruce lists several caps that lock. Not sure if any would fit your aircraft..may be worth a look?

I've looked at all of the gas caps at Aircraft Spruce and Chief and they were all for non-Cessna aircraft. Mostly experimental.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

Yes, that's what I thought, too. I would have bought a pair :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!