182 Research

I am considering purchasing a 182. I have started my research and am curious if you were to buy a used 182 today what model would you buy and why?

Comments

• I just took “the plunge” myself. Two weeks ago. Had a great 172...wanted some extra horsepower. The 182 fit the bill. I purchased a 1960 year 182C. My decision was not based solely upon year of manufacture, but the TTAF, SMOH engine/prop, condition, and obviously price, etc.. This particular aircraft had new paint/interior in 2004, upgraded panel. There are multiple factors to be considered for each buyer. Good luck with your search! Keep us posted...my “new” 182 in residing in the Avionics shop the next 6 weeks for some significant panel upgrades.

• Forgot to mention a “must read” book/reference I discovered during my search...”The Skylane Pilot’s Companion”, by Richard Coffey. Great insights regarding the 182...both mechanically and aviation wise.

• Online copy available on pdfslide.net.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Thanks for your comments, Kent. The 182 is kinda like a Chevy Impala of the same vintage. Everyman's airplane. Isn't outstanding at anything but does everything very well. Reasonable speed, reasonable cost, reasonable payload. I give the 182 two thumbs up. Were it me and if funds permitted, I'd get a TR182. However, to add my comments, I'd get the most expensive plane that I could: Mid-time engine and good paint. Both of these are really expensive. Avionics are expensive, too, but you're never going to be happy with someone elses avionics choices. So get a good airframe, engine and paint and then do the avionics the way you want it done. Good luck!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Well stated! Agree...especially regarding the “expensive” part! Lol

• @Kentwkalb said:
    I just took “the plunge” myself. Two weeks ago. Had a great 172...wanted some extra horsepower. The 182 fit the bill. I purchased a 1960 year 182C. My decision was not based solely upon year of manufacture, but the TTAF, SMOH engine/prop, condition, and obviously price, etc.. This particular aircraft had new paint/interior in 2004, upgraded panel. There are multiple factors to be considered for each buyer. Good luck with your search! Keep us posted...my “new” 182 in residing in the Avionics shop the next 6 weeks for some significant panel upgrades.

I'm looking at a 1962 E model now and am curious about cabin width. I'd like it to be roomier than my 172 M model. So, I'm looking for a resource to compare the years.

• @Kentwkalb said:
    Online copy available on pdfslide.net.

Thank You

• @Scott Sherer said:
    Thanks for your comments, Kent. The 182 is kinda like a Chevy Impala of the same vintage. Everyman's airplane. Isn't outstanding at anything but does everything very well. Reasonable speed, reasonable cost, reasonable payload. I give the 182 two thumbs up. Were it me and if funds permitted, I'd get a TR182. However, to add my comments, I'd get the most expensive plane that I could: Mid-time engine and good paint. Both of these are really expensive. Avionics are expensive, too, but you're never going to be happy with someone elses avionics choices. So get a good airframe, engine and paint and then do the avionics the way you want it done. Good luck!

Good info I have decided to get one with steam gauges so I CAN UPDATE MYSELF. Ha Ha I'm not yelling.

• My choice as well. New metal panel/avionics underway past 6 weeks. Can’t wait to see/fly...

Hi Kent,
    I've just glanced at pdfslide.net. Can you please explain what this site is? It's interesting.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hello Scott,
    I am not very familiar with the pdf site. Only discovered while searching for online edition of the Skylane Pilot’s Companion.

Thanks Kent, I'm continuing to look at it. Very interesting.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Just checking in to see if you ever bought that 182? I bought one in late 2020 and love it. Just like Scott says, it’s pretty good at many things and it’s a great IFR platform, as long as you stay out of the ice. And with insurance getting crazy, it’s still reasonable compared to other hi-perf planes. Thx!

It's every mans family airplane. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hello,
    Was anyone able to find "The Skylane Pilot’s Companion" on the pdfslide.net site? I've tried but can't find the document there.

I haven't either :(

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I just bought a 1984 Skylane 182R. I’m so happy with my purchase every time I fly it. Excellent maintenance and low hours. Flys like a dream. Already flew it from the mountains of Colorado to my grandchildren in Las Vegas. Big enough and fast enough. The one thing that keeps crossing my mind is the price I had to pay for it! I still keep checking the price of comparable 182’s and they are as expensive as mine. Somehow that makes me feel better.

Time to forget about the price and enjoy it. I have a local friend that bought a 182RG last summer for $200k. To get it in shape took another $100k. I hope you're doing better than that! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Bought a 182P, a little high on Airframe hours but the LAME gave it a huge thumbs up...he pulled nearly every panel off and very little corrosion, all SIDS done etc. That was 12 months ago (Easter 2021) and have since ripped the Avionics out completely and put in a full Garmin system... I look at it as buying safety for me as a low hour pilot... sure it was a lot but i don't dwell on it.... just enjoy flying... The 182 was a no brainer for me... tough like a Holden UTE, takes a bit of rough and tumble and can take a good size payload with full tanks

Looks magnificent! Thanks for posting the pic. Enjoy!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I needed plane that was fairly fast, had opening windows on both sides, and was relatively simple. I do air-to-air photography and I just bought a 1959 Cessna 182B. As Kent said above, I wasn't looking for one particular year, just wanted a nice plane. For me, I wanted nice paint, interior, low-time engine, and I found all of that. So far, I'm very happy with the new plane!

Jack Fleetwood | Aviation Photographer
    jackfleetwood.com

• I have a G3 touch also. Love it

Jack! Great to see you on the forum. Your cover photos for our magazine are amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing you at our Airventure dinner in July! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!