Commercial License

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
Hi everyone,
After countless decades I've decided to get my Commercial license. I've just passed the commercial written exam using the King Schools course materials but I haven't started on the flight side yet. I hope to line up an instructor very soon. At age 65 this is very challenging but I'm making it happen. Have you recently gotten a new license or rating? If so, chime in, I'd like to hear about your experiences.

Best regards,
Scott Sherer

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
    I've taken another baby step forward. After passing the written using the King Schools commercial written course, I've started the King School commercial practical course. I'm about 2/3 of the way through and today I started flight training with my new instructor, Paul Aydt of Spring City Aviation at Burlington Airport (BUU) in Wisconsin. After four months of cloudless skies and perfect weather it got gray, overcast, rainy and misty and generally IFR. Of course, I scheduled flight training! Anyway, we did ground school instead, which is preparation for the commercial oral exam using the Practical Test Standards or PTS from the FAA. This complemented my King practical test perfectly. We're going to try flying again tomorrow.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

November 17, about four months after starting my commercial training I passed the practical test and am now a freshly minted Commercial multi-engine pilot. I used the King Commercial written and practical courses (two courses) that were excellent. I had 30 landings, 15 accelerated stalls, countless 50 degree banked turns, emergency descents at four thousand feet per minute (my instructor said "gee, I smell smoke..."), 15 engine failures at altitude and while shooting gps approaches, short field takeoff's and landings, all in my twin. I flew at 8am most days and looked at King videos over and over again in the afternoons. I'm done, I earned it and best of all, I'm a much better pilot. Thank you to Paul Aydt at Spring City Aviation (my instructor) and Tom Boyer (my DPE).

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks for the postings, and Congratulations!
    Thanks so much! BTW, what's your first name?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Congratulations Scott.
    It’s nice to know it’s never too late.
    Gary

Gary Van Dyke

It was a great experience. Last winter I started on my ATP and we'll see if I make any progress on the written test this winter. I put about 75 hours of study on the 1200 question ATP pool before I burned out. I may try it again in January :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• You gentleman are to be commended! The time and commitment towards more experience and ratings is a testament to the saying, “You never stop learning!”

Thanks Kent,
    The ATP written is a bear. A 1200 question pool. I reached about 800 questions and couldn't retain anymore. I'm hoping to try again with a different learning philosophy. Stay tuned!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Scott, well iam 69 and working on my commerical license also. I have been flying private for 20 years for my company. Recently I sold my plane to my company and wanted to be sure now when I fly employees to projects etc. That I operate from the commerical side of my license and get paid actually. I know what you mean about challenging to do all the intense studying.
    Good Luck!!

Thanks so much!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!