Funny little holes

Hello everyone
I have often wondered what the small holes are for sitting by the fresh air intake on the wing, Does anyone know this? have a nice day

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Is there a screen that screws on at that location? It would make sense to have a screen there, it would keep geese from flying in the air vent ;)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain

I would guess someone made a block off plate for winter that was screwed there.

• I’m going with Scott...anti geese screen, of big bugs

• OR big bugs

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Here in Wisconsin the mosquito is our state bird. They're as big as crows! lol

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks for the reply, What has your own Cessna in the hole? (picture please ), can see that in the drawings you get iron wool inside ... not something in front :-)

• On my C172N I don't have those holes. I'm assuming you have the plastic air scoop in place behind the hole cause I can make out the bottom two flush rivets that should hold it in place. See attached picture of the air scoop. (Nope couldn't find the picture of the scoop) I could post tomorrow. Are the holes on both wings? If you are not missing the scoop then it's probably a wasp/bee screen holder? as suggested by Scott, done by someone who doesn't know that there is supposed to be a plastic mesh in the air vent to filter and prevent these guys from entering the cabin. I'm missing the $105 scoop on my right wing so I just taped over the hole. My copilot still gets plenty of fresh air from the vent.

• My 150F does not have the holes. My replaced right wing has a larger rectangular opening instead of the half moon Any know which years used that type wing?