Buying a 210...advice needed

Greetings all, I am looking at purchasing my first airplane and most likely will be a T210. I would like opinions and advice on the following:
1. What's a good way to accomplish a pre-buy that is out-of-state? How do I find a good A/P or IA to conduct it? Should I use a broker or escrow company for this step?
2. I am using AOPA VRef to check prices and my research shows that many airplanes are priced at about a 20% premium over a VRef estimate. Does this sound right in the current market? I plan to make an honest offer based on the available data, but also want to make sure I am meeting current market expectations.
3. I am located in Central Texas (Temple-Draughon Miller Apt), and insurance wants me to do some training with a CFI who has some T210 time...looking for CFI recommendations or contacts for this training.

Thank you, I have already learned a tremendous amount on these Forums.

Thomas Lewis (COM INST RTR SEL, 2000+ hrs, Retired UH60 pilot)

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi Thomas,
    1. Go you have a friend with a plane? You can fly to a good prebuy location and have your friend pick you up and fly you back when done. Also, have the offer written and accepted before you do the inspection.
    2. Don't expect vRef to be accurate. Only expect them to be in the ballpark. It's a sellers market right now. On the note about a T210: Excellent plane. You will love it!
    3. You insurance company's request may not be doable. CFI's generally have training it trainers, not airplanes like the 210. Do the best you can and discuss with your insurance company.
    Good luck and I can't wait to see a pic!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Just info from a recent “seller”. I priced my 1960 182 reasonably with others listed/on the market. Had 3 calls with an hour of listing on Controller...thus felt I had priced properly. First 4/5 “buyers” could not get financing due to banks not allowing $ beyond vRef. Seemed banks didn’t allow any $ for a $40,000 glass avionics..dual G5’s, TruTrak autopilot, Garmin nav/com. I had to drop my price 15% to enable a buyer to finance. Just FYI...seems more of a buyers market, due to banks vRef “issues”...Good luck!

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Thanks Kent!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!