Vortex Generators

edited August 2020 in General Discussion

I just read the article on vortex generators in the August 2020 issue of Cessna Owner. I can pretty much say ditto to everyone else's comments. I have the Micro AeroDynamics Vortex Generatores installed on my 2001 T182T and I also can barely get the plane to stall. It only buffets slightly and the stall horn is blaring, but it will not break with full back elevator.

I had the VG's installed in 2017 and my only regret is I did not have it done 15 years earlier. The margin of safety is well worth the expense. Besides, it is a lot of fun to just "hover in place" let alone make a CFI mad during a BFR because it will not stall.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Thanks Larry! Good to know :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Damn it, I have to wait two years to do that to my CFI
    :-p

• I've considered VGs on my 182Q. I have to admit, I'm ignorant on how they are installed and about what it would cost to do so. Would appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.

• You can get the VG's either non-painted or painted with Matterhorn White. I chose the latter. The cost is about $175 more. The install is done by gluing the VG's to the surfaces with VHB (Very High Bond) glue. My install took under three hours, but these guys had the process down pat.

Everything comes in the kit including spares.

I did a flight test last year on a plane with VG's. The stall was almost non-existent. Slow speed flight is very gentle and high speed isn't affected at all.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Love my VGs! I now land on centerline almost every time as result of much better rudder authority and I now come over the threshold at 65kts and land between 60-62. Crosswind landing are much easier as well due to rudder authority and aileron effectiveness. My 1970 177B FG basically won’t stall. I mush along losing altitude slowly but nose won’t break and actually stall!

Oh, and don't tell anyone this but my fav airplane is a 177. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I am wondering about and effect of VG's in icing conditions, not that I plan to ever enter, but still.... We know that ice first begins to form on small protruding objects like rivet heads. Could VG's then be like little icing generators, not visible to the pilot on a high wing airplane?

Very good question!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I'm considering getting vortex generators for my 206. Any recommendations on which ones to install.

• Eressel,

I have the Micro AeroDynamics on my T206H, they are outstanding, there is no issue with icing conditions, that have occurred during flights which required the use of my TKS system to remove myself from the icing conditions (never-ever flying into known icing conditions). They absolutely facilitate substantial slow flight control & stall. We have slowed to 49-45K in different pressure altitudes with full control before deteriorated controls.

• Freebird - thanks for the feedback. I'll look into these as part of my next annual.

• Question: Do you put the VG's on yourself or do you need an A and P?

• N97159,

The installation is best left to an A&P for certified aircraft since this is per an STC. Preferably one who has installed vortex generators before.