Paint colors for 1965 Skymaster

I have a 1965 337 that I am restoring. I would like to use colors that replicate Emerald Green (Code Number CES-1054-350), Vestal White (Code Number CES-1054-398 or -170), and Velvet Black (Code Number CES-1054-151) from the Cessna IPC, but I have had no luck finding references/codes for modern paints that would replicate colors used in 1965. Any suggestions for sources of information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Stand by while I send this to our A&P Erich Rempert.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Here's a reply from our association A&P Erich Rempert:

Call Cessna (Textron) and find out who the manufacturer of the paint was and what product line. If that company is still around today (good chance) contact them about either getting the formula or having them mix you the color using today's materials.

If they aren't, ask Cessna if they have the color formula.

Lastly if you have an example piece of each color you can have it tested by a spectral analyzer and have the color matched. (Many paint shops have this ability)

If no one has the code, and no color examples exist just match it by eye, no one will be able to prove it's not "exact".

Have fun, I personally prefer period correct schemes over the "flavor of the year" on a vintage airplane.

~Erich

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Erich:

Thanks for the follow up. My next stop for info
    was going to be Cessna (Textron), but I was hoping to find the info without having to approach The Giant Corporation (like petitioning the Great and Powerful Oz).

I don't have a paint chip to analyze, unfortunately. My aircraft was repainted some years ago. I'm planning to restore S/N 337-0100 to the paint scheme style found on the early 1965-era Skymasters. I have found a number of print ads (in black and white) from that period showing what the paint scheme was, and I have found several current images on the Internet of aircraft sporting that scheme, albeit in different colors:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Cessna-337A-Super-Skymaster/1422894

The Cessna IPC lists 15 named exterior colors for that model year. The code plate on the door frame of my aircraft is 5-NCK-18-0, indicating exterior colors of the black and white I mentioned, along with "Autumn Russet Metallic." That color doesn't appeal to me, so I want to use Emerald Green, one of the other available colors.

This will not be a totally period-correct restoration, but a "restification," as I intend to put a modern avionics stack in the panel. So, exact color matching is not critical, only of interest to me, as I would like to have it suggest the look of a vintage aircraft. I have found some beautiful shades of green paint, including on a spectacular Cessna 150 period-correct restoration on the cover of this month's AOPA magazine.

Worst case, I'll contact that restorer and ask him what he used.

Thanks for your help.

OK, good luck and don't forget to post before and after pics when you can!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!