Cessna Critical Service Bulletin 07-1A

What are your thoughts on this? My take-away is that it's essentially a very thorough oil & filter change with a detailed inspection of both the used oil and cutting open the filter. But as a mandatory SB, it now sounds like cutting the filter and some sort of oil inspection is required at every change. The mechanic only gets called in if you find something, correct?

My other question relates to the actual piston pin bushing installed. Does it matter where these bushings were sourced, or is the problem related to the support any bushing receives from the piston and rod? Our club has two singles, a 182H and 150G, both with recent top end overhauls, and new Superior cylinders all around. We've been getting about 30-40 hours a month on each plane since a great recruitment drive last fall. We've been inspecting the filters and sending an oil sample out for analysis - so far all good. I know the 182 has two drain plugs, so with the quick drain on one side I was contemplating getting a magnetic plug for the other. I'm not certain on the 150 as I've never had the lower cowl off, but it has a quick drain on it now.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi, stand by while I send this to our A&P Erich Rempert.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Here's a response from our A&P Erich Rempert:

It's not an AD; it's Service Bulletin (Mandatory, Critical, Super Critical, Etc. all have the same legal weight)

When operating under Pt 91 SB's are not compulsory unless they are called out in an Airworthiness Directive, so you technically don't have to do it at all.

That said; you should cut your oil filter and send a SOAP sample out for analysis at every oil change anyway! Oil analysis is about trend monitoring, not spot checking. You need to have samples analyzed at every change in order to establish a baseline and subsequently notice changes over time.

I think straining the drain oil is probably a good idea too and I think I'm going to look into getting one of the screens they call out in this SB as it seems like an easy step that could "catch something" you might otherwise miss...

I run magnetic oil plugs on all my cars and motorcycles and I think they're a great idea, but I'm probably going to leave my quick drain on my airplane. (But maybe not)

If you ever find anything questionable in your filter, SOAP report, or drain oil you should get your mechanic involved for another set of eyes on it.

If it's determined you have wrist pin bushing material in your oil, you'll have to pull all the jugs off again for an IRAN.

This is a good SB to keep handy as a reference to look over at every oil change, regardless of the engine and what it's on.

~Erich Rempert, IA Consultant

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I appreciate the feedback, and as mentioned we've been cutting open the filter and sending out oil samples for analysis. The O-470 in our 182 has two drain plugs, so running both the quick drain and a magnetic plug is possible there; not so on the O-200 in the 150. But the magnetic plugs called out in the SB are $123 and $584 at Aircraft Spruce!!! Holy cow! There's gotta be an alternative to that.

Is there a conspiracy in GA pricing? Collusion? I have absolutely no idea but it sure feels that way...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!