Aircraft Batteries and battery tender/minders

I've found myself in a discussion lately about batteries and battery tenders and minders. I switched from Gill to Concorde several batteries ago and I know that both companies make good, reliable batteries. The Concorde doesn't leak, however and so I'm using them lately. Also, I use an automotive battery tender for $30 on my airplane over the last five years. No issues, it works great. However, some members are pro aviation battery minders at $250. I've not felt the need to spend that much. What are you doing?

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain
    edited November 2018

I use the battery tender by Deltran on our Concorde in the C-175A all
    year. My last Concorde lasted 5 years and the reason I replaced it was that I felt it was time for it to retire before something unexpectedly happened to it and I kept it on the tender all year as well. I would never go back to a Gill battery and like using the tender as a peace of mind for when I do go out and fly.

http://products.batterytender.com/Chargers/Battery-Tender-Plus-High-Efficiency.html

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Thanks so much for your comments. It looks like we're having similar experiences. I hope other members chime in, too.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Earlier this year, I went with the Concorde and BatteryMinder. No regrets.

edited November 2018

Thanks so much for posting the pictures. I particularly like the socket that you installed in the bulkhead. Nice work!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• JgoaviationJgoaviation Flight Captain

I agree with Scott, that is a really clean install!

I have to install a socket like that in my plane. The more I look at it the more I like it.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

edited November 2018

I ran across two brochures at the airport today. One is for a battery minder and the other is for the socket shown in the picture above. I've attached the two brochures.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited December 2018

My AME installed the socket for a batteryMinder next to the groundpower outlet behind the plate of my 182T. I just have to lift up the access plate and plug it in. The only thing is the Minder unit lies on the floor, but it’s in a hangar. The good thing is the plane can be locked and it’s easy and clean.

Nice! I have to look into doing that this winter. Thanks so much for your comments.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I took the wife out to the airport for a night flight over the KC Christmas lights, and my 2-year old Gill battery wouldn't turn the 0-300 over. She was so disappointed to miss her first night flight, I replaced it with a Concorde this month. This is great food for thought to prevent that ever happening again...

Concorde makes really good batteries... and getting a battery tender/minder is the best way to keep it charged. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I use a Concorde with a battery minder and have averaged about 8 years between batteries.

I changed out my last Concorde three years ago and the old one still has enough capacity to use it for bench testing equipment, jump starting my quad, and everything else I’ve tried it for.

I changed it because failed a capacity test during a cold February annual. I didn’t want to a starting problem away from home so I think swapping it out was the right move but it still seems to be doing OK.

Before getting a battery minder I was only getting two to three years out of a battery.

Gary

Gary Van Dyke

Thanks for your comments, Gary. They match mine exactly!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• georgebuchnergeorgebuchner Flight Attendant

I fly my 182 out of Deer Valley Airport, Phoenix, AZ, The city is jumpy about battery minders. I have a Concorde battery and an "approved by the city" Battery Minder like the one pictured above. Both the City and airplane are happy. I highly recommend this combination.

Good to know. Just out of curiosity, do you know why the city is jumpy about battery minders?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• The city likely jumpy about battery tenders, battery chargers, as many big RV owners keep their big RV in hangar, there have been many hangar fires, from battery tender / chargers overcharging / overheating batteries of these RV’s starting hangar fires. Battery minder brand, don't over charge, and they have temperature sensors to vary charge rate depending on actual temp

Thanks!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I use one as well. My A&P couldn’t “install it” he said. Not an approved device?

• @Kentwkalb said:
    I use one as well. My A&P couldn’t “install it” he said. Not an approved device?

you need a better A&P.

• I use a 12/24 volt charger connected to a smart outlet which runs for one hour each morning. I also use smart outlets to control a Tanis oil heater and a small forced air heater, modified with a dryer hose pushed into the cowl flap of my 180K. A couple of hours before any winter flight, I turn everything on and at a warm, fully charged airplane. I also use the charger for my 12v quad, motorcycle, etc.

• I, also, use a timer for one hour of charging per day on my Concorde battery; mine is the same charger as MrMark757 pictured above.

• Gill G-35 and Battery Minder in C205. Prior to getting the Battery Minder my batteries usually needed to be replaced after two to three years time. Now they are lasting four to six years. A&P installed the same type of connector plug as MrMark57 shows in his photo, using an Adel clamp to tie it to the oil dipstick right next to my engine heater's A/C plug. Just a logbook entry, no Form 337 needed. All of it money well spent, just in battery purchase price savings.

I'm getting six to seven years doing the same thing. :) I'm glad to know I'm not alone with the results. Batteries aren't cheap and keeping one for a long time is a good thing. Thanks for the update.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!