Member getting instrument rating at 69.

Hi Rocky –

I really enjoy your magazine. Great job!

My Dad loved to fly and he got my brother and me started with lessons in an Aeronca Champ when we were twelve. I got my private ticket in 1971 when I was nineteen. After college I got married, had kids and didn’t fly after that.

In 1981 my Dad purchased a 1963 C182F and had many great memories flying in in upstate NY. When Dad could not fly on his own any more, I took up flying again and took about 30 hours of lessons to get up to speed again. Then we flew together until his passing 4 years ago. He passed the plane on to me.

After a trip to Oshkosh with a friend a couple of years ago, I got the bug and decided that I wanted to get my IFR ticket. I’ve passed my IFR written a year and a half ago, got the plane repainted over the summer and now am totally upgrading with WAAS.

The IFR is coming very slowly, but it’s coming. I’m not learning as fast at 69 years of age.

Quick question for you: What is the longest period of time between someone getting their private ticket and then their IFR rating? If I do it this coming summer, it will be close to 51 years. If you don’t know, it might be a fun thing to find out from your readers.

All the best!

Kevin Malchoff

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi Kevin,

Let's see, I soloed in 1967, got my Private in 1968, my Instrument Rating in 1982, my multi-engine rating in 1993 and my Commercial License in 2017. I'm slowly working on my ATP at age 70 and it's definitely much more difficult to learn at this age.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!