East Coast to Oshkosh

Looking for advice on getting to the Cessnas 2 Oshkosh this summer coming from Nova Scotia Canada. It is my first time attending Airventure and my first mass arrival.

I am looking at a few routes, one is entering the US at KGBR in Maine and flying south of lake Michigan up to the meet point KUNU I figure on a two day VFR flight with a stop for the evening somewhere along the way. Any tips on locations and accommodations close to or on an airfield somewhere in PA or OH? I will have camping equipment so info for airfield camping would be great

I am also looking at two routes in Canada, one that is a northern route planned to cross at Sault St. Marie and down the western shore to KUNU. Another is southern Ontario to cross at Detroit and fly around the lake to KUNU Any tips on entry airports and the like would be appreciated. This keeps me in Canada for longer and the north route is over some remote Ontario wilderness so It is not my first choice of routes.

I am attending the formation clinic for canadian pilots and I hope to get some AOE info from them as well. I have been on the AOPA site listing airports but it is information overload for me. I am not used to all the selection of landing areas!

any local knowledge and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Bruce

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Weather permitting, I think that the north route would be the easiest and most direct.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I’ve done the Sault Ste. Marie crossing going from Ottawa to Winnipeg, and it was a nice route that kept me out of most complicated airspace. However, gas prices in Canada are much higher than in the U.S., so you would probably save money going the southern route.

Keep in mind that you’re going to need to sign up for EAPIS, the U.S Department of Homeland Security’s response to general aviation as a result of 9/11. It can take time to be approved, the procedure is somewhat complex and the web site not particularly user friendly. Separately from getting advance permission to enter the country through EAPIS, you have to make arrangements with the specific Customs and Border Protection post where you’re going to cross. With weather considerations to fold into the mix, it can be a bit of a juggling act.

See you at Juneau!

Thanks for the info, Egon. Especially the reminder about EAPIS... :)

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited May 2022

Thanks for the replies. I have my current customs decal, my EAPIS, The Arrive Can app and lots of cash saved. I am not sure Scott if you have flown much in Canada but In my opinion the US route would give me many outs and options. Lots of rocks, trees, swamps, and forests in Quebec and Ontario. Especially that far north.

I flew my 182 back to NS from BC in 2020 and it was a long stretch of basically nothing in Ontario along the north shore of Lake Superior.

Shameless plug for an article I wrote about it

If any northeastern US pilots wanna chime in on US stops I would greatly appreciate some hints on stops with food and or lodging/camping close by

Bruce

I hope to meet some members in Juneau or at Airventure

Thanks for the post! I've done lots of Canadian flight but only short distances from Milwaukee to Toronto and Sault Ste. Marie. And it's been awhile.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I am actively planning my route to KUKU for the C2OSH meetup. My first day will be CCQ3 to KBGR for Customs clearance. Then on to OB1 for fuel then on to KGKJ. I am thinking that i may stop around KGKJ Meadeville Pa for the evening. Then a shorter day up to the meet up in Juneau. I am planning on the VFR corridor along the lake at Chicago for some cool picture opportunities.  

Can anyone recommend this stop in Pennsylvania over any others? According to my ForeFlight planning it is a long, almost 6 hour air time first day then a shorter second day. I need to stop for fuel and customs on the first day adding to the length of travel. If anyone knows of a better stop east of Port Meadville that may be easier or more convenient for a night chime in. I am also looking at stopping on the second day at KPPO La Portee for a break and some cheaper fuel and a food break

Any local knowledge is very appreciated

• Closing out the thread.

we had an excellent trip. If anyone is interested reading up on my adventure, check out my article i wrote for Airfacts Journal

Happy New Year i hope we all enjoy more adventures in 2023