FAA Proposes Widespread AD for Cessna Fatigue Cracks

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator
FAA Proposes Widespread AD for Cessna Fatigue Cracks
AOPA is reviewing the proposed AD and will submit formal comments by the March 19 deadline.
AOPA – February 1, 2018 – The FAA has proposed to adopt an airworthiness directive (AD) affecting numerous models of Cessna 172, 182, 206, 207 and 210 airplanes that would require inspection for possible metal-fatigue cracking in the lower area of the forward cabin doorpost bulkhead, and any necessary repairs.
The FAA said that following a report from an operator, investigation “revealed more than four dozen similar cracks” on affected aircraft, according to the notice of proposed rulemaking filed February 1.
“This condition, if not detected and addressed, could result in failure of the wing strut attach point during operation, which could result in loss of control,” it said.
The FAA estimates that the AD affects 14,653 aircraft, and that the cost of compliance would include $127.50 to inspect each airplane and between $2,540 and $2,992 for any needed repairs. Total estimated cost to U.S. operators is $1,868,257.50.
The AD prescribes schedules for initial and repetitive inspections for airplanes that have accumulated less than 4,000 hours time in service, and those with 4,000 hours time in service or more.
Repetitive inspections for aircraft on which no cracks are found would occur every 12 months or 1,000 hours time in service, whichever occurs first. If cracks are found, repeat inspections would take place at intervals not to exceed 1,000 hours time in service after installation of the applicable service kit.
AOPA reported on the problem in February 2017 after the FAA circulated an airworthiness concern sheet seeking information from operators about the problem, and a risk of wing deformation resulting from cracks near wing strut attached fittings.
Operators may comment on the AD by March 19 online at: www.regulations.gov or by mail to: U.S. Department of Transportation, Docket Operations, M–30, West Building Ground Floor, Room W12–140, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590. Refer to Docket No. FAA–2017–0049 and Product Identifier 2017–CE–031–AD at the beginning of your comments.

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Does the estimated cost include both wings or just one side?

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

My guess is both sides. Have your IA look into it for a definitive answer. If you need help finding one, I can assist :)

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• HESSAEROHESSAERO Comml SEL/MEL, Inst, A&P/IA
    edited August 2022

I performed an inspection of the affected area in accordance with the Cessna service bulletin as port of the first annual inspection on a new-to-us R182 in 2014. Back then it was all lights and mirrors and took two of us two hours. Since the AD was issued I have repeated the inspection on our airplane and one other. With better technology (digital borescopes) the job gets done much more quickly, and I have a photographic record of the inspection. I haven't seen any nascent cracks as yet.

I recommend that anyone who needs to get this done hire an A&P/IA with a good eye and a good borescope. Ask for a printout of the inspection pictures.

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Much thanks for the update.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!