C337 Skymaster 5000 TTAF AD

Hi,
My name is George and I’m a new member!
I’m very pleased in what I’m reading and the product you guys are putting out!
Quick question for the group...
I’m flying a PA-28-161 right now, but am seriously in the market for a Skymaster.
I have a few in mind on Trade-a-Plane, Barnstormer and Controller... I have also talked with Bill Crews at Skymaster Center about one of his listed airplanes.
I’m retiring soon after 35 years at the Airline and would feel more comfortable in a MEL as we’ll be doing the Bahamas, Key West, night and probably some IMC.
My question is about the 5000 hour Wing Spar AD NDI Inspection and how it’s been going out in the field, any major problems found, any cracks and about how much $$ are we talking for the Inspection?
Before I pull the trigger on this I’d just like to get some feedback from you guys out there.
Thanks in advance for any help and insight!
See you out there!
George

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi George,
    Welcome aboard, we're so pleased to have you! We have our own A&P/IA, Erich Rempert, and I'm going to send your question to him. Please stand by.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Scott!
    Thanks for the warm welcome!
    I’ll standby to hear from Erich...hoping to learn a lot on here!
    G

Hi George,
    Erich isn't a 337 expert so I'm trying to track one down. Stand by

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott!
    Yeah, it’s kind of a unique topic...
    G

Hi George,
    I have the best of the best for 337's for you. Our own Sky Smith has written a book about 337's and has owned them. His email is: sky@skysmith.com please mention that I gave you his email. :) Good luck!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Scott!
    Thanks!
    I just ordered the book and I will send Mr. Smith an email!
    I’ll let you know what I find out for the group!
    G

Excellent George. Here's a copy of his email to you for others to read. :)

Back to your question...

The spar cap AD is a eddy current or dye penetrate inspection for cracks. Its 5000 hours on normal aircraft and 10,000 hours on Pressurized version.

After the initial its at 500 hour intervals if I remember right. They also recommended any hard use (fish spotter, powerline patrol etc.) aircraft start inspections at 3000 and 300 hour intervals. I don’t think that is a requirement but a recommendation, but these planes are getting old.

Attached is an old Cessna dealer letter from 1972 discussing the inspections. I think there was an update in 2010 or so to the AD.

As far as who you'll have to look on line. There are a few companies that say they offer eddy current inspections.

The way prices are going I would guess the initial cost would be 3-5000. It’s a pretty big chore to take the necessary skins off to get to the spar caps.

I'd call around and see if you can get a price.

I do have good customers/friends in Virginia that might be worth talking to if you get closer. They have been owners for years. They have ran into a lot of issues through the years and plus made lots of upgrades to their plane. Let me know if you want an email for them.

Hope that helps.

Scott “Sky” Smith

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Scott,
    Thanks, I did visit with Sky Smith and he did answer all my questions!
    I know the email you posted above will help others with similar questions!
    Appreciate the leg work and I’ll stay in touch as I get closer to buying!
    G

Fantastico, George. I'm here for you if you need me :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hello Georges,
    I was also interested in the 337 ... I love it. However after reflexion and for my first plane I decide to go for a CESSNA 206G.
    I was in contact with a guy in Spain who buy 4 Cessna 337 from the Portugese army. The planes is total new 0 hours.
    Turbo.
    He asked EUR 150'000 (USD 170'000) but I am sure you can get it for much less as he really want to sell.
    It is a Reims model much more strong than the other
    Have a good day
    Alain

• Hi All!
    I’ve been a member for almost a year now and have enjoyed the Magazine and the Forum input help on the Skymaster,
    I’m looking forward to buying soon and am wondering if anyone would have a good point of contact for a 337 experienced A&P/IA for a Prebuy Inspection.
    Not sure on the exact location for the buy, I’m in Ohio but airplanes in Arkansas and Florida look promising.
    Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Stay Safe!
    George

I know who would know!! Sky Smith, our association insurance guy, is an expert on 337's and he's written a book dedicated to 337s! Here's his email address, tell him Scott Sherer gave it to you. sky@skysmith.com.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Scott!
    Good to hear from you again!
    Yes! I took your advise when I first showed up here on the Forum and visited with Sky about the 337 Wing Spar Inspection AD question I had.He gave me some great information! So Thank You!
    I also purchased his Skymaster Book on Kindle and it too makes for a great read for a guy first looking into the 337.
    Thank you so much for your rapid response, I will email Sky today!
    On a quick personal note...
    When I first joined the Forum last year I was about to retire after some 37 years at United Airlines. I did retire in March.
    Sad to go, but excited to open a New Life Chapter!
    This is just a shout out to all the other Pilots I had the honor and privilege to fly and share the Flight Deck with.
    Pilots who today are faced with a situation likened to no other we ever faced before.
    God Speed and Stay Safe!
    Thanks again Scott, I’ll stay in touch and keep you posted on my search for the “Perfect Airplane”! 😎
    George
    CLE

Thanks George, congrats on the retirement! And, I'm always here for you!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Scott!
    Just a quick note to let you know I heard back from Sky within minutes! You guys must share a computer! 😁
    He quickly answered my question on a 337 Prebuy and gave me 2 names, one gentleman up north and the other down in FL...
    John Russman (313) 363-1703 in MI and Ray Torres (305) 433-0105 in FL.
    Both with a lot of Skymaster experience.
    Thanks again and I’ll keep in touch!
    Stay Safe!
    George
    CLE

Good luck, George. Make sure you post pics of your new bird when you get it!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Congratulations on the retirement, George! I'm a retired Southwest guy and Skymaster owner. What I discovered in my 337 shopping was that a lot of the airplanes are a long way from the 5K hours. I bought my "G" model last September, I'm the third owner of it, and it is just turning 2500 hours on the airframe.

My mechanic has a lot of experience with the 337, I will ask him what he thinks it would run.

Michael
    '77 C337G
    KVCT

• Oh, thanks for the lead on the book guys, I bought it.

Michael
    '77 C337G
    KVCT

• Thanks Michael!
    ...and Congratulations on your Retirement AND new-to-you Skymaster!
    I’ve gotten some great info and leads on a prebuy and info the Wing Spar AD!
    Gonna be looking at an airplane soon!
    Small world, I used to live near VCT when I was based in IAH with CAL! Loved it, still have a daughter that teaches in Bee County!
    You’ll enjoy Sky’s Book!
    Everyone here has been great, thank you Scott Sherer!
    Stay Safe, Fly Fun!
    George
    CLE

You're welcome, George. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!