Is anyone flying during the pandemic?

Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

I confess that I'm not flying but I am at my hangar every day to work on my plane. I decided to replace my headliner and window molding during the next few weeks to keep me busy and away from everyone. I ordered the headliner from Airtex and the window molding from Vantage a few months ago so I had it on hand. However, I had to place an order for special cement, windlace and insulation from Airtex and I'm stopped while I await their arrival. I'm hoping that it will get shipped so I can stay busy and still do something productive. I'll let you know how I make out. What's everyone else doing? Are you flying? Working on restoration or maintenance? I'm curious, lol.

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Working on restoration...

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Well, that makes two of us :) Stay well, Kent!

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Same to you and your family! And all our Cessna “family”.

• I’m going through my annual and am taking care of all the projects I’ve put off while I’m at it,

I don’t expect any significant issues related to the regular annual but since I’m pulling the headliner to take care of the spar inspection, I’m doing everything else that would require pulling the trim or headliner while I’m at it.

That includes, upgrading my ELT to a 406 unit which requires running the wires for the remote and the GPS signal, installing a gear-run light kit since those wires go through the overhead, repairing all the cracks or blown-out screw holes in the trim plastic or panels, and am replacing all the SCAT tubes in the overhead with SCEET.

While I’m working on running the wires for the gear-pump run light I’m replacing the brushes on the gear pump since I’ve started seeing noise on my StormScope when the gear pump is running.

I’m removing and replacing the silicone that was kind of sealing the wing root covers with the greased felt seals that should have been used.

Since I will have everything open I am replacing all the panel / courtesy light bulbs with LED’s, and will clean or replace the dimmers so I have uniform adjustment of the light levels. On the radio side I’m adding a dedicated antenna for my handheld and I upgraded my 430 to a 430W.

Finally, I’m replacing the o-rings and seals in the shimmy-dampener and I sanded the high-spots off my nose-wheel to help ensure I don’t have anymore shimmy issues.

I’ll take care of any other issues we find during the annual. The goal is to address everything on my squawk lists, and any problems we find during the annual so I’m less likely to have non-routine issues in upcoming annuals.

My wife and I will be moving to Arizona this summer. I’ve been working with the same IA for years and he’s willing to sign off on work I do under his supervision. I don’t know if I will find someone as accommodating next year, At this point I’m not even sure I’ll have a hanger to do the annual in next year so I want everything that can be addressed taken care of this round.

Gary

Gary Van Dyke

HI Gary,
    Sounds like you're doing well! I'm using the down time to replace my headliner with a new Airtex wool one. I'm almost done and I've insulated the ceiling with rubber, replaced the Scat with Sceet for the air vents, replaced the windlace, windows and window molding, too. What an ordeal but I'm busy and not bored while I'm doing this. And I'm alone and safe in my hangar. Stay well!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I've been trying to get out some. Not really stopping anywhere (well, a T & G or two), just enjoying the flying! I figure I'm not going to affect anyone else 3000 feet above them! I did transport a rescue dog last Monday. I called ahead to the destination airport to confirm it was okay prior to going.

Gosh, I need a new dog. lol. Anyway, nicely done.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott
    I will be interested in how things turn out with your headliner.

Mine is still in OK shape but there are a few cracks in the foam that helps it keep its shape. You can’t see them from the cockpit side bit I’m going to have to reinforce those areas before I put it back up.

I’m guessing it won’t be long before it has problems

Gary

Gary Van Dyke

I'm finishing up tomorrow. The Airtex wool is awesome. When I removed the old vinyl headliner I was shocked to find the upper side covered in mold. It's now gone and the ceiling is clean and foam rubber insulated, too. It looks awesome. The fellow in the hangar next to me came over and said it looked like it just rolled out of the showroom. And it's a few dB quieter with the rubber insulation.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Well, I was cleared to get back to society after knee replacement a week before my County issued stay-home orders. I could only barely get into my car, much less my long-legged C172A. When the plane was released from annual, it was mid-February, and I was cleared to fly again by mid-March. What with icing my knee every day during winter, I wasn't too keen to go out to a cold hanger. I did put in a rebuilt carb, and this month put silicone valve cover gaskets on the O-300. It's finally warmer, and the wife begged me into carry-out from Miami County (K81) a local airport restaurant known for their ribs. Here are some others there that day, eating in their wing shadows - properly social distancing. I think we were the newest Cessna there!

Thanks so much for sharing this!! I'm hoping to get the bird up tomorrow. I can't wait.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott,
    How did your headliner install go? I finished the upper install today.

• Still have the sides, and steam it to tighten up the surface/remove wrinkles

edited April 2020

Looking good, Kent :) Here's mine.! The window molding isn't in yet in this pic and the rear baggage bulkhead has just been painted. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Nice! I like the tan shade. Lighter for our interiors

edited April 2020

Hi Kent,
    I was going to do it in gray but Airtex was out of stock on all of them going into the pandemic. They had enough fabric for one headliner and I got it, lol. And it turned out great! I'll be doing the seats, side panels and carpet next winter. It took 60 hours for the headliner, insulation, luggage bulkhead and new Vantage window molding. From the shoulders up it looks awesome! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I hope to finish headliner today, start interior panels/carpet tomorrow. Exhausting/cramped space, but will appreciate for years to come.

• Corrosion X as my final finish, prior to insulation. Called Corrosion X folks,inquired if I could leave some aluminum exposed with Corrosion X as the “final exterior coat”, they said yes. I prefer some of the polished aluminum in high contact/wear areas...door openings, etc...

I did the same foam rubber above my headliner. I've used it for at least 30 years on various aircraft. It's quiet and temperature controlling and lasts forever. Nice job, Kent.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Making “lemons out of lemonade”..nice to have the time to devote to aircraft improvements...not nice to be out of work...

I get the 'out of work' part. My project to keep me busy took 60 hours for headliner, insulation, baggage compartment and window molding. Next winter it's on to upholstery! :) Stay well!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Made some upholstery/interior install progress.

Looking good, Kent! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• @Kentwkalb said:
    Working on restoration...

What are you working on? Are you at IOB?

• Headliner, carpet, seatbelts...I’m at KFGX, Fleming-Mason.

• Completed work a couple months ago. Love the improvements

• edited March 2021

Restoring a 172E model. Anyone know where to find replacement headliner bows?

• I searched, no luck. Lowes Home Improvement makes proper diameter steel that works great. I used the old as template for shaping, coated with CorrosionX. Worked great