Paint shop recommendation

I would appreciate any members recommendations for a paint shop. I’m located in southern illinois but will travel to find the right shop. Thanks!

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you Scott. I should have asked for some advice before I started this process. I took my plane somewhere for paint and it sat for 6 weeks. I got nervous because communication with them didn’t make sense. I went and retrieved it. Turns out there were 4 or 5 other planes waiting before me. And my trust in this outfit was destroyed. I lost some deposit money too. And I had made a trip there about a month before my appointment so they could see what work was required. I don’t want to say the name but it’s in Alabama. I’ll check out flying colors. I was planning to fly to Benton harbor this fall. Notre dame football! My buddy has a place in Bridgman.

• Mena Arkansas is well known/respected.

Thanks Kent!

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Is there a certain location in Mena that you would recommend?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott. I’ll check that one out too. I’ve contacted flying colors. I’ll let everyone know what I pick.

• I’ve booked my plane for paint. Headed to Woodlake in mid December. They happened to have an opening. I contacted several. Flying colors is headed in a new direction painting aircraft for some manufacturer. Mena never responded back to me when I had a question about what they charged for sales tax. The tax rate in Mena is 9.5%. I didn’t want to deal with Hibbing in the winter. Boss in North Carolina responded but they’re quite booked up. One in Kansas never responded. One in Ohio never responded. I don’t get places that don’t respond. Even if they’re busy, it would be better business to at least respond. I sure learned a lesson when I went to Selma for paint. Slick website and lowest price - no paint, months wasted, and partial refund.

OK Kevin,
    Sounds like you've done your due diligence. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thought I’d post a few pics of the paint process.

• I’m replacing most of the plastic. It’s the shop’s recommendation. Getting more expensive. Big surprise there! Just kidding. Since I’m doing the wingtips, I’m doing the Orion nav lights and strobes. More expense! I’ll post more pics as the process continues. And include more info about all the stuff I’ve done to this plane. More expense!

Hey Kevin, looking good! You're getting your dream of a new airplane one piece at a time. I can relate. Thanks for posting the pics!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Time for an update.

• Looking good. I’m in a different aircraft now, booked at Advanced Aircraft Refinishers near Atlanta for early fall. Keep us posted on your progress.

• . ![]

(https://forums.cessnaowner.org/uploads/editor/g1/vt0hr68j8e3o.jpeg "")

Haven’t posted for a while. It’s finished! A buddy of mine with a Comanche flew me up on Thursday. Heck of a pilot. We dodged the clouds, found a hole and landed at IS65. Woodlake. Got back through the clouds, clear on top, and flew home to KSAR.

Wow, great job. :) Thanks so much for updating us, we appreciate your pics!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• My mods paid off. On the way home, 144 TAS. Before changes , I planned 136. Still couldn’t catch that Comanche!