Oil Canning of the sheet metal on my Cessna 182N

Has anyone every had this problem and able to find a cure? I hear it on start up and shut down sometimes. Doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Scott ShererScott Sherer COO Forum Moderator

Hi and thanks for writing. Where is it coming from?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• A few years ago during a pre-flight of an unfamiliar C182R (thats the model, fixed gear not retrac) I encountered serious oil canning in the left horizontal stabilizer (LHS), and somewhat moderated oil canning in the right (RHS). I discovered it by gently exerting up, then down pressure on the tip of the airfoil. In a nutshell, several of rivets in the spar in the LHS had pulled through.

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated.

Scott Sherer
    Aviation Director, Cessna Owners Organization Forum Moderator and Cessna Owners Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I forgot to mention that some (all??) of the pilots who customarily flew that aircraft appeared to make a habit of dragging the aircraft into its tiedown spaced by leaning heavily on the damaged horizontal stabilizers to lift the nose. After the damaged LHS & RHS were repaired I was tasked to fly the aircraft again... no surprise light to moderate oil canning resurfaced on LHS. Lesson: use a tow bar.

• Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town. One of the problems is I can't nail down where it's coming from. The times I had someone looking at the airframe as I started it up of course it did not occur. I did recently notice if the engine has not warmed up (taxing over the pumps and shutting it down) it appears to do it more.

If it's fuselage oil canning, you can stop it with sheet insulation from Airtex Interiors. I use it on all of my planes to stop oil canning and keep the airplane warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer and much quieter. http://www.airtexinteriors.com/catalog_items.php?cat=misc

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I will look into that. Thank you!